1, 2, 3 Food Waste Collection Trial
In May 2021 we will begin trialling weekly collections of food waste and absorbent hygiene products (AHP) with a small number of homes.
The aim is to reduce household rubbish, increase recycling and help make Arun greener. The food and AHP waste we collect will be turned into fertilizer and sources of energy.
Around 1,150 households and flats have been selected for the first phase of the trial. The new 1, 2, 3 collections begin on 19 May 2021 and will run for one year.
If your household has been selected to take part, you will have received a letter and a starter pack with full information on how the trial works.
How it will work
The new scheme follows a 1, 2, 3 collection schedule:
- weekly collection of food waste and an optional weekly collection of AHP products
- two-weekly collection of recycling including small electrical items
- three-weekly collection of general rubbish
There will be no change to your collection day, and garden waste and assisted collections will continue as normal.
Households taking part will receive:
- a small silver caddy for your kitchen (size of a toaster) and three months’ supply of compostable liners
- a green lockable food waste bin for outside (size of a pedal bin)
- a 240L wheelie bin for your general rubbish (unless you tell us you already have one)
- five yellow and black striped sacks if you take part in the AHP collection (once used these will be replaced)
- a collection calendar telling you what bins to put out and when