£150 Council Tax rebate (energy support payment)

Applications for the £150 energy rebate have now closed. If you are eligible for the payment, but have not applied, we'll credit it against your Council Tax account.

The discretionary payment scheme, for households not eligible for the £150 energy rebate, is still open. Find out more about the discretionary scheme and how to apply.


You will get the £150 energy rebate if:

  • your property is in Council Tax band A, B, C or D (or band E where there is a disabled band reduction)
  • you are liable to pay Council Tax
  • the property is your sole and main residence on 1 April 2022

You will not be eligible if:

  • your property is a second home
  • your property is empty on 1 April 2022
  • you are in Council Tax bands E, F, G and H

Check your Council Tax band and find your property reference number

You can find your Council Tax band and property reference number on gov.uk

To find your property reference number, you'll need to select your address once you've entered your post code.

Visit gov.uk

If you have not applied

If you're eligible for the rebate but did not apply, you will still receive it. The £150 will be credited against your Council Tax account instead of being paid to you.

Discretionary payments

For households that need help with their energy bills but do not qualify for the £150 payment, we have access to discretionary funding to help. 

We have been allocated £373,350 which means we can help 2,489 households with a rebate of £150. 

We have created two schemes to support people most vulnerable to the rising costs of energy.

Please note:

  • you cannot apply for either scheme if you were already eligible for the main energy rebate
  • payment will be made to households that were occupied (as someone's sole or main residence) on 1 April 2022 
  • only one discretionary payment of up to £150 will be paid per household
  • when the limit of the fund is reached no further payments will be made 

Scheme 1 - households in bands E to H

This scheme covers households who:

  • receive Council Tax reduction (also known as Council Tax support) which is a benefit to help people who are on a low income or claiming certain benefits to pay their Council Tax
  • are in Council Tax bands F to H and receive disabled relief
  • are in bands E to H and exempt from Council Tax due to severe mental impairment 
  • are in bands E to H and exempt from Council Tax due to all resident adults being full time students 
  • are in bands E to H and qualify for a carer's discount

Scheme 2 - exceptional circumstances

This scheme is for households in Council Tax bands E to H with exceptional circumstances that have led to higher energy usage. You will need to demonstrate that your household circumstances are exceptional and provide evidence of this. 

Examples of this may include (but are not limited to):

  • receiving any government or state benefits 
  • receiving a war pension or being a former military veteran
  • providing care for another household member
  • having high household energy use for a medical reason

If you think you may qualify, apply for this scheme on the link below. We will assess each request individually.

Apply at grantapproval.co.uk

Read our guide on how to complete your application

Important notice

If you receive a £150 rebate and the above criteria is not met, you should contact us straight away. The payment will need to be returned to us and may be liable for recovery.