Housing Advice For Young People


Thinking of moving out?

We believe that until young people are in a financial position to live independently, the best place for them is usually to live with their parents or guardians at home.
Young people who leave home at a young age, unprepared for the challenges of having their own home, are more likely to be unemployed, suffer health problems and experience other adverse effects than the average young person. Parents are responsible for their children until they reach the age of 18. If young people are asked to leave home, the council will challenge the parents about why they have asked their child to leave simply because they have reached a certain age.

Been asked to leave home?

Living in the family home can cause friction and arguments and sometimes young people may be asked to leave the family home. If you have been asked to leave and you are 16 or 17 years old, please contact the housing options team immediately. You can email housing.options@arun.gov.uk, call 01903 737763, visit either of our offices or write to the Littlehampton address at the foot of this page. We will contact your parents to find out what has happened and to try to mediate between you and your parents or guardian to resolve the dispute so that you can remain living at home. We can do this by visiting you at home. This is likely to be the best place for you, as long as you will be safe, until you have developed the skills you need to live independently. Even if your parents want you to leave, they should give you reasonable notice to allow you to make alternative arrangements.
If there are reasons why you feel you would not be safe at home, it is important that you tell us about this.
We work closely with social services to find the right housing solutions for homeless 16 and 17 year olds by assessing their needs under the Children’s Act 1989. If you cannot stay living at home, we will put you in touch with young people’s coordinators who will talk to you about your options.
If you are under 18, you cannot legally hold a tenancy. There are limited spaces at specialist housing such as foyers or supported housing for young people, so accessing accommodation for you must be planned carefully, in liaison with social services.

Substance misuse or addictions

If you are a young person and you are concerned about your drug or alcohol use, and would like help with staying safe or to make changes to your life, there is support available from CGL: Change, Grow, Live.


Duty to Refer: 1 October 2018

If you represent a partner organisation that has the Duty to Refer with effect from October 2018 (See List.docx [docx] 15KB ) and you have a client in your service who is homeless or threatened with homelessness, and who has a connection to Arun, please complete the attached Duty to refer form.docx [docx] 106KB, with the client’s consent, and email it to dutytorefer@arun.gov.uk

The form also has the contact details for other Councils within West Sussex if your client has a local connection to one of those Council areas.