Housing Team

Which Housing team do I need?

Please look through the list of activities. When you have found the one you need, click on the web page link for more information, or email the team using the email address shown.

Housing Team Activities

Web page
Contact Info
Joining the housing register (council housing waiting list)
Assessing changes in housing circumstances (not housing benefit claims).
Reassessing bandings
Advertising and allocating empty properties including housing assoc properties.
Choice based lettings
Reviewing banding decisions
Offers of council accommodation
Attending viewings of council properties
Ending/Terminating your tenancy
Advice if you are threatened with homelessness
Assessing eligibility to apply for a deposit bond
Finding privately rented accommodation
Financial advice including mortgage or rent arrears, or court proceedings
Placement into emergency housing including B&B
Advice if you are street homelessness
Negotiation and liaison with landlords & letting agents
Statutory homelessness decisions
Assessing homelessness cases (inc. following housing options assessment)
Statutory homelessness decisions
Homelessness decision reviews
Management of cases deemed intentionally homeless
Management of all Council homes.
Matters relating to council homes (except rent arrears & repairs)
Anti social behaviour, neighbour disputes, tenancy fraud
Breach of tenancy legal action 
Caretaking of estates, fly tipping, communal areas, bin sheds, stairwell cleaning.
Management of temporary accommodation 
Rent arrears collection
Debt advice to council tenants
Budgeting and benefit advice
Discussing legal action to regain properties due to rent arrears
Home visits to discuss payment plans
Advice on decreasing rent arrears
Right to Buy enquiries
Council tenants reporting repairs to their homes.
Report a Repair
Repairs relating to Gas only, should be reported directly to BSW heating
Call 08000  680 566 or email: housing.repairs@arun.gov.uk
Faults with a communal plant room or heating system in sheltered housing.
Call K&T Heating on 0800 126256
Block refurbishment information relating to ADC homes.
Larger scale maintenance projects
A programme to ensure council properties meet decent home standards
Information relating to  on going planned maintenance of council homes.
Leaseholder enquiries (except repairs)
Information relating to the development of new Council homes.
Advice on private landlord housing standards (not availability)
Call Arun Direct on 01903 737755
Regulation of houses in multiple occupation
Call Arun Direct on 01903 737755
Advice on potential illegal evictions
Call Arun Direct on 01903 737755
Inspections of privately rented accommodation
Call Arun Direct on 01903 737755
Landlord property accreditation
Call Arun Direct on 01903 737755
Consideration of the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
Call Arun Direct on 01903 737755
Disabled facilities grants
Call Arun Direct on 01903 737755
Advice regarding illegal occupation of land by travellers
Call Arun Direct on 01903 737755
Public health matters eg pest control, residential waste accumulations.
Reporting empty homes
Landlord's forum information or invitation
Advice regarding energy efficiency and fuel poverty

More phone numbers, including out of hours emergencies, can be found on our Contact Us page.