Mentally impaired people

You may be entitled to a Council Tax discount if someone who lives with you has a condition that affects the brain. This can include dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, if they’ve had a stroke, a severe or chronic mental illness or have learning difficulties.

To qualify for the discount the person must be over 18 and entitled to any of the following benefits:

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (care component) at the highest or middle rate
  • Disablement pension
  • Employment and Support Allowance which included a component element
  • Income Support
  • Personal Independence Payment (standard or enhanced daily living component
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Universal Credit which included a limited capability element
  • Unemployability Supplement under the War Pensions Scheme
  • Unemployability Supplement

To apply:

  1. You will need a certificate signed by a GP confirming that the condition is permanent and severely affects thinking and social functioning. The GP will need to complete the below certificate.
    GP certificate severely mentally impaired [pdf] 120KB
  2. Select the green button below to go to our Council Tax Portal.
  3. Go to Council Tax Discounts/Exemptions and select view Council Tax Discount/Exemption Services.
  4. Select Apply for a reduction if you are severely mentally impaired or you have someone living with you that is.

    Remember to upload the GP certificate as part of your application.

Apply for the SMI discount