Further to our recent email regarding MoT’s and vehicle tests the following information has been made available on the DVLA website
How the 6-month extension works (from DVLA website)
Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be automatically extended by 6 months if it’s eligible. This will be done about 7 days before it’s due to expire.
This means that:
- your vehicle will still have a valid MOT certificate for an extra 6 months
- you can still tax your vehicle - you might need to wait to do this until later in the month if both your MOT and vehicle tax run out this month
- your insurance will still be valid
- your vehicle’s record will be updated so the police can see you have a valid MOT
You will not get a new paper MOT certificate with the new expiry date on it.
You must still keep your vehicle safe to drive.
Example Your vehicle’s MOT was due to expire on 3 May 2020.
This will automatically be extended to 3 November 2020. You will need to get your MOT by this date.
As the licensing authority our remit is to ensure the public are safe. Therefore, as the vehicle is a licensed taxi, you must still comply with the licence conditions. MoT testing stations remain open at this time, including those garages used by Arun District Council for the garage test, if your vehicle is due a MoT we expect you to have your vehicle MoT tested on time.
If it comes to a point in the future where the garages close, then the six-month rule will come in to being. However, this extension will not exempt you from using a vehicle which is not roadworthy
You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition. If the local authority have evidence to show you are driving a vehicle which is not in a roadworthy condition both the vehicle licence and driver licence may be revoked for not being fit and proper.
Get unsafe vehicles repaired
Take your vehicle to be repaired at the nearest open garage if it’s unsafe. These are allowed to stay open during the coronavirus outbreak. The garages used by Arun District Council for the compliance test are allowed to remain open at this time as they can undertake emergency repairs on unsafe vehicles.
Checks you should carry out to help keep your vehicle roadworthy
Every time you drive you should check:
- the windscreen, windows and mirrors are clean
- all lights and indicators work
- the brakes work. Check for any unusual noises
- Washers and wipers are in good working order
- Listen for any unusual noise which may indicate a problem with the vehicle
Your vehicle’s handbook will tell you how often to check the:
- engine oil
- water level in the radiator or expansion tank
- brake fluid level
- windscreen and rear window washer bottles - top up with washer fluid
- tyres - they must have the correct tread depth and be free of cuts and defects
The handbook will also tell you when your vehicle needs to be serviced.
Tread must be a certain depth depending on the type of vehicle:
- cars, light vans and light trailers – 1.6 millimetres (mm). (2.0 mm for taxis)
There must be tread across the middle three-quarters and around the entire tyre.
Until such time as all garages are closed you should continue to have your licensed vehicle tested as appropriate if you wish the vehicle to remain licensed.
If you have to take your vehicle to the garage, please take necessary precautions and observe social distancing.
We have been in contact with the three garages who conduct the vehicle compliance test on our behalf, and they have confirmed they will remain open for as long as possible and continue to carry out MoT’s and vehicle compliance tests.
If your vehicle needs either an MoT or a compliance test please contact either of the garages below:
Bognor Motor Vehicle Solutions (BMVS), 3 Christie Place, Durban Road, Bognor Regis
PO22 9RT. Tel. No. 01243 865515
Discount Motor Services (DMS), Unit 2, Brittens Lane, Fontwell, BN18 0ST.
Tel.No. 01243 545544
M J Services Ltd (MJV), Unit 13, Brookside Business Park, Brookside Avenue, Rustington
BN16 3LP. Tel. No. 01903 786111
Please note the garage test sheet and MoT certificate can be emailed to us at Taxis@arun.gov.uk