Pensioners and Universal Credit


The rules regarding pensioners and Universal Credit changed from 15 May 2019.

If you are of State Pension age you can apply for help with your rent from Housing Benefit. You can check your State Pension age here.

You need to apply for Universal Credit if you or your partner are below State Pension age.


Mixed Age Couples

If you’re in a couple where one of you is above State Pension age and the other is below it (this is known as a mixed age couple), you will make a Universal Credit claim as a couple. When both of you reach State Pension age your Universal Credit claim will stop, and you may wish to apply for Pension Credit and/or Housing Benefit.

If you’re in a mixed age couple and are already receiving Pension Credit or Housing Benefit, you will stay on those benefits as long as your circumstances remain the same and there is no break in your claim. If you have a break in your claim or your circumstances change, you may need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.