Planning Reception

Until further notice due to the Coronavirus we are unable to accept PAPER planning applications, comments on planning applications, compliance complaints or forms relating to the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) as all staff are now working from home. Planning applications must be made electronically via the planning portal . Comments on planning applications must be made on the online by searching for the application on the website and entering a comment , compliance complaints must be made on the online form and the submission of CIL forms (with the exception of CIL Form 1 which must be submitted with the planning application itself) must be sent to

There is currently no change to the Council’s scheme of delegation and some applications will still need to be determined at a Committee meeting. The Council has recently adopted new procedures in line with the Coronavirus Act 2020 to allow for Development Control Committees to be  held ‘virtually’. The Government sent a letter to local councils recently, which is attached here: Chief Planners Newsletter - March 2020.pdf [pdf] 135KB .

We will not issue any delegated officer decision to approve a major application or a minor application where there are a significant number of objections and the Parish/Town Council have not had the opportunity to comment because of the Covid 19 Pandemic until consultation has been carried out with the Chairman of the Development Control Committee and Portfolio Holder for Planning to confirm that they are in agreement that a decision can be issued.

Planning & Building Control Reception is situated on the ground floor of the Arun Civic Centre in Littlehampton. Due to the Coronavirus the planning reception desk is closed and all enquireis should be either by email to or by telephone  on 01903 737756.The Planning Duty Officer service is available  by telephone on Monday, Wednesday and Friday  between 9am and 12pm on 01903 737756. 

It is also possible to view a wide range of documentation including: 

  • The Application Registers.
  • Planning applications since 1948 - the most recent files are viewable on the public access computer but older files are on microfiche. Please note that you cannot view the working copy of the planning application if the case officer is actually working on the file.
  • Documents on deposit such as Highway Stopping up Orders and Diversions of Public Footpaths.
  • Consultation documents relating to Highway Improvements. 
  • West Sussex County Council's Definitive Public Rights of Way Maps.
  • Department of the Environment's List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest ie. description of Listed Buildings in the district.
  • 2003 Arun District Local Plan and associated documents.
  • West Sussex County Council documentation relating to planning issues ie. The Structure Plan.
  • Development Control Committee Agendas.
  • Ordnance Survey/Land Classification maps (please be aware that the paper versions of the ordnance survey maps may not be up to date)
  • All planning and building control information is held at the Civic Centre in Littlehampton but it may be possible to view some items at the reception area at Bognor Town Hall (Please ring to check)

It may also be possible to purchase copies of some documentation depending on data protection and copyright issues.

Any documentation that is available on our website can be printed at your home at no cost. This includes  application information  submitted after November 2005, general site histories and letters of representation since 2012. Unfortunately, due to restrictions on time and budgets, we are no longer able to provide a postal service for copy planning documents and personal callers are limited to purchasing documents which are not available to view on the website. Records not available on the website are held on microfiche and we ask customers to identify the  application they wish to view and view the records on the microfiche reader located in the reception area. It is available on a first come first serve basis. Once they have found the information they want they can print the document. If you know the  reference numbers of the documents you wish to view please let us know prior to your visit so that we can  try to have the microfiches ready for you to look at. We are not able to provide copies of letters of representation.

We can print up to a maximum size of A3 (including plans) and all copies are charged at 10p per sheet, although we won’t charge you if the total comes to less than £1.00.

Section 106 agreements and Tree Preservation Orders are held in our secure deed store and arrangements need to be made to access them. If you require copies of these documents, please let us know in advance of your visit.

If you are making a long journey to come in and view the records, please contact us beforehand so we can ensure the information will be available otherwise you may have a wasted journey

Where it is not possible to carry out an online search, for example on large areas of land, customers should purchase a Local  land charges search and request further documents following that. Requests must be made in writing, quoting the original search number. Charges will apply in accordance with the land charges fees table.