Privacy Notice Private Sector Housing & Public Health


Arun District Council collects information about you in order to provide you with the following service: dealing with service requests/complaints relating to private sector housing, public health and the pest control service.

What information is being collected?

  • We will be asking you for:
    • Your personal details – name, address, contact number, email address.
    • If the property is rented then details regarding landlord and/or managing agent.
    • Any information you have included to support your complaint such as reports, photographs, plans, maps and drawings
    • Any information gathered during the investigation of a complaint.

Why we collect this information

  • We will use the information for:
    • Your personal details are used to contact you to discuss your request/complaint and to keep you updated in regard to any actions taken.
    • Personal data will be processed for duties in relation to our functions of investigating private sector housing or public health related matters, in accordance with the legislation the officers are appropriately authorised.

Who we might share your information with

  • We may share your personal information with:
    • West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service – Legal requirement to consult in relation to any required fire safety measures
    • The Council’s Planning and Building Control department to ascertain if the property has the correct planning use and whether any conversion works or alterations have the correct building regulation and planning permission/approval.
    • The Council’s Land Charge Department to record any formal notices  issued against the property.
    • Other services within Arun District Council where there is a lawful purpose for sharing data. This might include an investigation by a regulatory function such as for the detection of fraudulent receipt of benefits.
    • We may share the data with Government departments/agencies such as Inland Revenue.
    • Information may be shared with the police to assist them with investigations.
    • Customer satisfaction surveys are undertaken from time to time to ensure that we are meeting our customer’s expectations and to enable us to review what we could do better. Your contact information will only be used in connection with your experience of the Council’s services and will not be used for marketing purposes. If you do not wish to proceed with the survey then you are free to decline. 
    • Information may be shared with adjoining Local Authorities to enable them to fulfil their duties as District or Borough Council.
    • Information will be shared with West Sussex County Council to enable them to fulfil their duties as the County Council.
    • Where there is a legal requirement to hold a public register, this information will be published on the Council’s website.
    • If Arun District Council receives a request, under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) or Environmental Information Regulations (EIR), to disclose information, they are obliged to do so unless the information is deemed exempt under the Act. We can only withhold information under FOI or EIR if the information falls under one of the exemptions (FOI) or exceptions (EIR) set out in legislation.

What we do with your information

  • We will:
    • Use the information to investigate the request/complaint.
    • Confirm property ownership details.
    • Use your details for correspondence relating to the request/complaint.
    • Retain your details on the Private Sector Housing and Environmental Health IT database.

How long we will keep your information

  • We will keep your information electronically for 7years from closure of the case.

Your Legal Rights

You do have some legal rights in respect of the personal information we collect from you. Please see the Privacy Policy page on our website for further details. You can also contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer on: Email:

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance or directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: