Persons over 18 whom child benefit is payable, school leavers, apprentices or youth trainees


Persons over 18 whom child benefit is payable

We may be able to make a reduction in Council Tax if there is someone in the property who is:

  • 18 oyears old, and someone is receiving Child Benefit for them - apply


School leavers

  • under 20, left school or college on or after 1 May and was doing a 'qualifying course'* until that date. In this case a reduction can only last until 31 October in the same year.

*A 'qualifying course' is one that lasts for three months or more and involves at least 12 hours' study a week for any qualification  up to 'A' level. Apply


If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you may be entitled to a 25% discount off your Council Tax.

If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there is a 50% discount.


Who counts as an apprentice?

Someone who is:

  • employed for learning a trade, business or profession;
  • undertaking a programme of training leading to an accredited qualification; and 
  • receiving  a salary or allowance (or both) of no more than £195 a week before tax and insurance.

We will ask to see copies of the apprenticeship agreement.



Who counts as a Youth trainee?

Youth trainees are under 25. They also have an individual training plan funded by the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency.

We will ask to see some evidence of a training plan.