Business & Trade Waste

Any waste or recyclable materials created by a shop, office, factory, tradesperson or other business is called trade waste. This includes businesses run from a domestic property. Trade waste cannot be put out for collection with normal refuse or taken to a neighbourhood recycling centre, as these services are funded by domestic Council Tax. The cost of collecting and disposing of business waste is not included in the Business Rates charges due to the variety and quantity of waste produced.

As a business, you are responsible for the safe containment and disposal of all waste produced under the ‘duty of care’ section of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011. If your waste is found to be illegally dumped or flytipped you could be prosecuted, even if this action was taken by someone other than yourself. This could result in a fine of up to £50,000 and/or a 5 year prison sentence. For this reason, all businesses must have a trade waste agreement.


Trade waste agreements

It is an offence for a business not to have a Trade Waste Agreement, which is a contract between the business and a registered waste carrier. Registered waste carriers are monitored by the environment agency. You can view a list of registered carriers online, or find one by calling 08708 506 506. If you do not have a trade waste agreement, you should make immediate arrangements for the disposal of your waste. Documentation to prove this agreement should be kept for 2 years as it may be requested at any time. These carriers will issue the business with a Waste Transfer Note, which confirms safe disposal.

You can arrange a trade waste collection service through Biffa, who act as agents for Arun District Council. Other trade waste services are available. Some neighbourhood recycling centres will accept trade waste for a charge, so please check with West Sussex County Council before you take your waste to any of these sites.

Collection of waste by a non-registered carrier is illegal, and is also more likely to lead to flytipping. If you know of or suspect anyone to be illegally carrying or dumping waste, please report them to us by emailing or telephoning 01903 737754.



Arun District Council is acting under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. It is the right of our authorised officers to request proof that the waste a business produces is being disposed of responsibly. This can be done through the submission of waste transfer notes. Failure to show these when requested by an authorised officer may result in the issue of a Fixed Penalty Notice of £300. Should a business continue to fail to comply with requirements, this may result in legal action being taken and an unlimited fine being imposed.