Adapting your home

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

Disabled facilities grants are provided for a range of home adaptions to help disabled people to live more independently in their own homes.

Find out if you’re eligible

The DFG is for adults and children who are struggling with daily tasks and either:

  • own and live in their own home in Arun
  • are private tenants
  • are housing association tenants (council tenants apply under a different scheme)

In all cases, the disabled person must be registered as disabled with their local social care office or be able to be registered.

Arrange an assessment

Before applying for the grant, a West Sussex County Council occupational therapist must first assess your needs.

Contact WSCC OT Connect for an assessment by phoning 01243 642121

Once assessed, an application for grant assistance will then be referred to us by the occupational therapist if applicable.

Adaptions you can make

You can use the grant to help pay for adaptions to make it easier to move around and access your home.

This can include:

  • installing ramps and widening doors
  • improving access to rooms with stairlifts or downstairs bathrooms
  • building wet rooms or walk in showers

DFG funding

You may have to pay towards the cost of the work on your home. We’ll check how much funding you are eligible for, based on your income and any benefits you receive. This is called a financial means test (grants for adaptions to assist a disabled child do not depend on income).

The maximum fund limit is currently £30,000.