Land drainage consent

Any works to: change the flow, discharge to, erect or remove a culvert, or create any impediment to flow in any ordinary watercourse will require Land Drainage Consent. Arun District Council undertakes all consenting in this District on behalf of WSCC, the Lead local Flood Authority [LLFA]. In addition, we assist with Land Drainage Consents for Chichester District Council. 

Ordinary watercourses include streams, culverts (pipe or covered channel), drains, ditches and passages through which water flows that do not form part of the ‘Main River’ network or the River Arun Internal Drainage District.

Even if you have Planning Permission or other consents, you may still require Land Drainage consent for works to watercourses.

The application form and further guidance (in particular the culverting policy) are available from West Sussex County Council.

For works on or near a Main River or an Internal Drainage District watercourse, or flood defence you will need consent (in the form of an Activity Permit) from the Environment Agency.