Student discount

If you are a full-time student you might be able to get a Council Tax discount or exemption.

Who is a full-time student

Your course must be one of the following:

  • a course which lasts at least one academic or calendar year and which requires you to undertake an average of at least 21 hours per week of study, tuition or work experience, for at least 24 weeks in that calendar year
  • a course which is not higher education, lasts for more than 3 calendar months, requires you to undertake more than 12 hours of study per week and you are under the age of 20

The above will include project 2000 nurses, health visitors and student midwives.

We will not be able to award a discount if you live in a household with 2 or more non-students or part-time students.

How to apply

You will need:

  • the address and postcode of the property
  • the names of all adults over 18 living at the property
  • the name of the university or college for each student
  • the start and end date of your course
  • your student certificate unless you are a student at Chichester University or Chichester College

If you’re a landlord you’ll need to provide the name, date of birth and student identification numbers for each student in a property.

Once you have this information you can apply via the below green button below.

Go to Council Tax Discounts/Exemptions and select view Council Tax Discount/Exemption Services.

Then select apply for a reduction if you are a student or have a student living with you.

Apply for a Student Discount

What happens next

We’ll check the details you have provided, and we may get in touch with your place of study to confirm your course details.

We aim to respond to you within 14 days with our decision but if we need further information from you this may delay the application.

Non British spouse or dependant of a full time student

If you are a foreign full-time student with a partner or dependant who is not a British citizen and is not allowed to work or claim benefits you will not have to pay Council Tax while you are studying.

Please apply for student status as above but also supply a copy of your partners passport.