Privacy notice councillors

I am an elected councillor for Arun District Council. You can find details of the ward that I represent and how to contact me on Your Councillors page.

As part of my work in the community, I will contact officers of the council and other organisations on your behalf to investigate your concerns and respond to your enquiries. I understand my obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018 to keep your personal information secure and to only use it in accordance with the data protection principles.

Information I collect

When I carry out constituency work for you, it may be necessary for me to receive and use your personal information in order to help you. This might include the following information about you:

  • name
  • address
  • contact details
  • photographs
  • your National Insurance Number
  • your date of birth
  • your signature
  • details of family members

Where relevant I may receive and use special category information, for example, your racial or ethnic origin, your political opinions, your religious or philosophical beliefs, or information concerning your health or medical needs.

How I collect your personal information

I may collect information from you in a variety of ways, for example:

  • when we meet in the community or at my surgeries
  • when you telephone me
  • when you send me letters or emails

My lawful basis for collecting and using this information

It is necessary for me to have a lawful basis for collecting and using your personal information.

When I collect or use your personal information it would be because you have given me consent to do so or because it is necessary:

  • for legitimate interests as described above (such as dealing with resident issues or complaints)
  • to protect your vital interests, such as a life or death situation or to protect you from harm, or to protect the vital interests of another person

When I collect special category information about you (for example details of a health condition), I will collect it because:

  • you have given me informed consent to do so (this will usually be in writing)
  • it is necessary to protect you (or someone else’s) vital interests and you (or they) are unable to give consent
  • it is necessary to establish, exercise, or defend a legal claim
  • it is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest

Where you have given me consent to use your personal information, you can withdraw this at any time by contacting me.

What I do with your information

I will use your personal information:

  • to investigate and respond to your request for advice, guidance or information
  • to investigate or respond to an enquiry or complaint you have contacted me about

Who I might share your information with

In some cases, in order for me to deal with your specific issues, I may have to share your personal information with other organisations, such as local authority councillors, local authority officers, parish councils, central government departments, MPs, the NHS and emergency services, schools or voluntary organisations.

How long I keep your information

In order to keep track of your case, I will have to hold onto your personal information. Usually this will be for two years, but might vary depending on the type of issue.

Any information I hold at the end of my term in office will be either passed to the appropriate council officer or securely destroyed.

What information is stored or processed overseas

I do not usually send information outside of the EEA. If I do for any reason, such as using cloud computing servers with overseas data centres, I will let you know and will ensure that it is done in compliance with appropriate procedures and safeguards, as required by data protection legislation.

Your rights

Subject to some legal exemptions, you have the following rights as an individual in respect of the personal information I hold about you:

  • the right to request access to your personal information
  • the right to have any inaccurate personal information rectified
  • the right to have your personal information erased
  • the right to request a restriction on my processing of your personal information
  • the right to ‘data portability’ allowing you to obtain and reuse your personal information for your own purpose across different services
  • the right to object to processing of your personal information

If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact me and I will consider your request. I may not be able to put your request into effect if the information is subject to a legal exemption.

Please see the Privacy Policy page on our website for further details. You can also contact the council’s Data Protection Officer on:

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance or directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: