Privacy notice disabled facility grant

We collect information about you in order to provide you with the following service: to help access adaptations through the disabled facilities grant and remain independent in your own home. Our disability facility grant privacy notice explains how we use your personal information and tells you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.

Information we collect

We will be asking you for:

  • your personal details – name, address, contact number, email address, date of birth and national insurance number
  • financial information for you and your partner – any benefits received, income, employment  details, savings, investments, pensions received and annuities, self employment or limited company accounts
  • property ownership details, details regarding landlord or letting agent including tenancy conditions

Why we collect this information

We use:

  • your personal details to identify you. You do not have to provide your contact number or email address but it would help us contact you quickly and to share paperwork electronically in order to speed up your application
  • the council tax database to check for existing benefits
  • land registry to check ownership of the property
  • financial information to undertake a financial means test and assess eligibility

The legal basis for using this information is:

  • The Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 and The Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance)(England and Wales) Order 2002
  • Housing Act 2004

Who we might share your information with

We may share your personal information with:

  • West Sussex Independent Living Service in order to confirm that the adaptations meet your needs and for auditing and monitoring purposes in regard to the Better Care Fund
  • your appointed agent, housing association or landlord to enable them to obtain quotes and oversee completion of the works
  • our finance department to record the commitment and spend against the Better Care Funding budget
  • our land charge department to record any charge against the property on the local land charges register
  • your appointed contractor to help arrange and complete the works
  • anyone that you have appointed as acting on your behalf
  • other internal services where there is a legal basis for doing so, which could include an investigation by a regulatory function such as for the detection of fraudulent receipt of benefits
  • government departments/agencies such as HMRC
  • the police to assist them with investigations
  • customer satisfaction surveys to ensure that we are meeting our customers' expectations and to enable us to review what we could do better
  • adjoining local authorities to enable them to fulfil their duties
  •  West Sussex County Council to enable them to fulfil their duties

In addition, if we receive a request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) or Environmental Information Regulations (EIR), to disclose information, we are obliged to do so unless the information is deemed exempt under the Act - we can only withhold information under FOI or EIR if the information falls under one of the exemptions (FOI) or exceptions (EIR) set out in legislation.

What we do with your information

We will:

  • use the information to process your application for grant funding and to check eligibility
  • check property ownership details on land registry
  • use your details for correspondence relating to the grant and, if successful, for the duration of the works
  • retain your details on our private sector housing and environmental health database

How long we keep your information

We will keep your information for 10 years from the certified date of the grant, this is required as the financial information relates to public funding through the Better Care Fund. Charges against the property remain for a 10 year period and any client contributions made, remain valid for 10 years and need to be taken in to consideration if future disabled facilities grants are applied for.

Your rights

You do have some legal rights in respect of the personal information we collect from you. Please see our Privacy policy page for further details.

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance or directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office at:

You can also contact our Data Protection Officer by email at