Building notice application

A building notice can be used for smaller projects such as replacing windows, removing an internal wall or drainage alterations.

Building notices cannot be used for work on:

  • commercial buildings
  • flats or houses of multiple occupation (HMO)
  • work over or near a public sewer

For these you will need to submit a full plans application.

When approval is not needed

You do not need building regulations approval for some exempt projects, including:

  • most repairs, replacements and maintenance work (except heating systems, oil tanks, fuse boxes and glazing units)
  • new power and lighting points, or changes to existing circuits (except around baths and showers)
  • like-for-like replacements of baths, toilets, basins and sinks

You can check if building regulations are needed from this list of common projects.

If you are still unsure or require any further information or assurance, you can contact our building control team:


Phone 01903 737756

Using a tradesperson registered with the competent person scheme

If your project needs approval but you’d rather not apply yourself, you can hire a tradesperson registered under the competent person scheme. They can self-certify certain types of building work without the need for building regulations approval.

To find out how to find or check a competent tradesperson view our competent person scheme page.

How to apply for a building notice

Complete the online form below (you can upload up to 20 PDF, GIF or JPG files within the form).

Guidance notes for completing the form can be found on our help page.

Once the form is submitted you’ll be given your application reference number beginning with OWBCAP followed by 4 digits. Please make a note of this reference number as you will need it to pay the building notice charge (and to submit any additional documents).

Apply for building notice approval online

Fees and charges

See our fees and charges

Fee exemptions - disabled adaptations

A fee exemption may apply to building works that are essential to enable a disabled person to use or move around a property.

To apply for this exemption, please complete our building regulations disability eligibility declaration [docx] 23KB.

If you are unable to make an online application, you can email us to request a paper form.

Make a payment

Make a payment online

No inspections will be carried out until the application and fee have been received.

You can begin your works 2 days after submitting your application. You will not receive formal approval.