Competent Person Scheme


Replacement glazing

All replacement glazing comes within the scope of the Building Regulations. This requires anyone who installs replacement windows or doors to comply with minimum thermal performance standards. Replacement windows may also require planning permission. This is particularly the case where flats are concerned and always the case if your building is listed. If you are in any doubt, please contact us on 01903 737756 or email

When you sell your property, your purchaser’s surveyors will ask for evidence that any glazing installed after April 2002 complies with the Building Regulations.

There are two ways to prove compliance:

  1. A certificate showing that the work has been done by an installer who is registered under the FENSA Scheme, CERTASS Ltd or BSI
  2. A Building Notice application to the Building Control section of the local authority for replacement windows. The work will be inspected and the glazing tested by a Building Control Officer.

If windows or doors have been replaced without either of the above, it will be necessary for you to submit an application for an Unauthorised Works application to the local authority’s Building Control Section.

Before you sign a contract to buy replacement glazing, be sure to ask whether the installer is able to self-certify. If not, an application should be made to your local authority for approval under the Building Regulations. This may incur a charge.

The reason that glazing falls under Building Regulations is the need to reduce energy loss. The Building Regulations have controlled glazing in new buildings for many years, but that represents only a very small percentage of the total building stock. It is also essential to improve the performance of the larger number of existing buildings if we are to meet increasingly stringent national and global energy saving targets.

There is a scheme that allows installation companies that meet certain criteria to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations. This helps to ensure that the work is done properly without an unreasonable increase in the administrative and financial burden on installers and property owners. Any installation carried out by a firm that is not registered to self-certify, or carried out as a DIY project by a householder, will need full local authority approval under the Building Regulations. Local authorities will know of all the approved installers in their areas and will be able to identify unauthorised work very easily. You should note that you, as the house owner, are ultimately responsible for ensuring the work complies with the Building Regulations.


Electrical works

All new electrical wiring and components are required to be designed and installed in accordance with the Building Regulations. This applies to all domestic premises and small commercial premises linked to domestic accommodation.

As a homeowner, builder or designer you need to be aware of your responsibilities under the Building Regulations when new electrical wiring and components are installed. Under Part P of the building regulations, DIY work and work carried out by non-registered traders should be checked and certified. As the property owner, you're ultimately responsible for ensuring electrical work complies with the rules.

The regulations do not stop you doing your own work or using an unregistered tradesperson, but you will need to make a Building Regulations Application or have a member of an electrical competent persons' scheme check it and issue the notice and certificate. 

It's easier and safer if you use an electrician who is registered with a government-authorised competent persons' scheme because you may not need to put in an application to us. Registered electricians are authorised to submit applications on your behalf. Please see a list of competent persons at the bottom of this page.


Works not requiring notification

If the work is very minor, you have to ensure that any electrical work is installed safely and in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions. If you are in any way unsure about how to install new wiring, electrical sockets etc., you should employ a qualified electrician. The information below highlights works that do not require notification.

  • Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
  • Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact
  • Re-fix or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components
  • Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations

Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve special installation and consists of:

  • Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit.
  • Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit.
  • Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding.


  1. On condition that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than on sub-circuit through a distribution board
  2. If the circuit's protective measures are unaffected
  3. If the circuit's protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation
  4. Special locations and installations are listed below
  5. Only the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory.
  6. Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations


Works requiring notification

If you are undertaking any of the below works, you will need to notify us and obtain a completion certificate.

  • Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin
  • Swimming pools or paddling pools
  • Hot air saunas
  • Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
  • Garden lighting or power installations
  • Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems
  • Small scale generators such as MicroCHP units
  • Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets
  • Wood burning stove

There are two methods of seeking approval. The best method is to ensure that electrical work is installed by a member of one of the competent person schemes below.

Any member of the above organisations will be able to self-certify their work complies with the relevant standards under the Building Regulations. The Approving body will then notify us that the work has been satisfactorily designed and installed and tested.

The alternative method would be to submit either a Building Notice or Full Plans application for the works to your Local Authority.


If you do not obtain approval

  1. A Completion Certificate for the works (including the main development works if the electrical installation forms part of it, i.e. an extension) will not be issued. This will result in any future sale of the property from being compromised.
  2. Possible enforcement action may be taken by ourselves for failure to comply with the Building Regulations.
As an owner

You need to ensure the works you are carrying out is either minor or notifiable work - if it is notifiable, make sure the persons carrying out the work are either registered under one of the schemes or that person carrying out the work will be able to certify their work under the Local Authority Building Control route.

As a designer

You need to make sure you specify that the electrical work (if part of a general development scheme) will be designed, constructed and inspected and tested in accordance with the British Standard 7671 (The IEE Wiring Regulations) and will either fall under a competent persons scheme or the Local Authority Building Control Approval route.

As a builder or developer

You need to ensure that you have electrical personnel who can either certify their work under one of the competent person's bodies, or are qualified and experienced enough to enable them to sign off under the Electrical Installation Certification form.