Code of Conduct

The Code of Conduct applies to all councillors and voting co-opted members of the council when they are acting in their official capacity. It does not apply to them in their private and personal lives.

Members' Code of Conduct

We adopted a new Members Code of Conduct 2021 [pdf] 299KB on 24 March 2021 (meeting resumed from 17 March 2021). This sets out how a councillor (known as a 'member') should behave when carrying out his/her duty as a councillor for Arun District Council. However, we have no authority to deal with complaints which relate solely to a councillor’s private life or things they do which are not related to their role as a councillor. All councillors have agreed to sign up to this code and to completing a new Register of Interests showing any interests that they have. Please see our Register of Members' Interests page for more information.

For details of codes of conduct for town and parish councils, please visit their websites or contact the relevant parish clerk to find out more.


If you believe that a member has broken the code, you can make a complaint. 

We have a complaints procedure for dealing with complaints against Arun District Councillors and complaints against parish and town councillors within the district of Arun. This is called the Local Assessment Procedure 2021 [pdf] 241KB

Please complete the Code of Conduct Complaint Form (2021) [pdf] 164KB or in Word format Code of Conduct Complaint Form (2021) [docx] 67KB and return to our monitoring officer, either via our email address or by post to the Arun Civic Centre, Maltravers Road, Littlehampton, West Sussex, BN17 5LF.

Please fill in the form giving as much information as possible - for example meeting minutes, details of witnesses to the event and any correspondence.

If you want to know what to expect when we collect personal information from you about a complaint you make, you can either view our privacy policy or call 01903 737500.

What happens next

Your complaint will be co-ordinated by the monitoring officer and their team, who will get in touch with you to discuss the next steps.

Listed below are the decision notices with details of the outcome of current complaints.

Current complaints
Name of Councillor Council Decision Expires Click on wording below for full details

No complaints at present