Counter-Fraud for data transparency
S43 of the Local Government Transparency Code 2014, requires local authorities to publish information about their counter fraud work.
The attached figures cover the period 1/4/2014 – 31/3/2015.
Number of occasions powers were used under the Prevention of Social Housing Fraud (Power to Require Information) (England) Regulations 2014, or similar powers
- Internal Audit - not used
- Revenues - not used
- Benefits - not used
- Housing - not used
Total number (absolute and full time equivalent) of employees undertaking investigations and prosecutions of fraud
- Internal Audit - One employee (approx. 0.1 FTE) may be involved in investigations that could relate to fraud and also reviews potential fraud cases from annual National Fraud Initiative (NFI) reports received
- Benefits - 1.8 Investigators. 0.3 Manager (2.1 FTE)
- Housing - Ad hoc – liaison with Investigations (A dedicated Housing Fraud Investigator post is to be progress on a trial basis in 2015)
- Legal Services - 2 staff involved in prosecutions (0.04 FTE)
Total number (absolute and full time equivalent) of professionally accredited counter fraud specialists
- Internal Audit - none
- Benefits - 2.1
- Housing - none
Total spent by the authority on the investigation and prosecution of fraud
- Internal Audit - c. £5k (based upon staff time)
- Revenues - c. £2k (additional review of NFI reports)
- Benefits - c. £95k (staff time and legal costs)
- Housing - c. £5k (proportion of staff time)
- Legal Services - c. £3k (prosecutions – including external advice)
Total number of fraud cases investigated
- Internal Audit / Revenues - from the NFI reports received in February 2014 and February 2015, 1130 Council Tax Single Person Discount leads were reviewed and 67 accounts subsequently had bills altered – however, these were not formal ‘fraud’ investigations
- Benefits - 188
- Housing - 5
- Legal Services - 3 prosecutions (resulting from investigations).
It should be noted that information on the Council’s counter-fraud activities is presented to the Audit & Governance Committee in June, covering the previous financial year. A copy of this report is provided on the Data Transparency web page.