Counter-Fraud for data transparency
S43 of the Local Government Transparency Code 2014, requires local authorities to publish information about their counter fraud work.
The attached figures cover the period 1/4/2017 – 31/3/2018.
Number of occasions powers were used under the Prevention of Social Housing Fraud (Power to Require Information) (England) Regulations 2014, or similar powers
- Internal Audit - not used
- Revenues - not used
- Benefits - not used
- Housing - 12
Total number (absolute and full time equivalent) of employees undertaking investigations and prosecutions of fraud
- Internal Audit - one employee (approx. 0.1 FTE) may be involved in investigations that could relate to fraud and also reviews potential fraud cases from annual National Fraud Initiative (NFI) reports received
- Benefits - investigations staff were transferred to the DWP SFIS in December 2015. One employee (0.65 FTE) is now engaged in a fraud liaison role
- Housing - housing Fraud Investigator (1 FTE)
- Legal Services - no prosecutions in 2017/18
Total number (absolute and full time equivalent) of professionally accredited counter fraud specialists
- Internal Audit - none
- Benefits - none
- Housing - 1
Total spent by the authority on the investigation and prosecution of fraud
- Internal Audit - c. £5k (based upon staff time)
- Revenues - c. £2.5k (additional review of NFI reports)
- Housing - c. £42k (staff time, appropriate subscriptions and fees, etc.)
Total number of fraud cases investigated
- Internal Audit - general review of NFI reports only
- Revenues - information provided for ‘joint’ review by DWP – 180. Council Tax Reduction cases reviewed by the Council – 6. Other cases - 2
- Housing - 15 properties brought back into the housing stock through key surrender after the tenant was issued with a Notice To Quit. 1 inappropriate Right To Buy applications refused. 4 inappropriate applications to the Housing register prevented.
It should be noted that more detailed information on the Council’s counter-fraud activities is presented to the Audit & Governance Committee in July, covering the previous financial year. A copy of this report is provided on the Data Transparency web page.