The much-loved Grade II listed Bognor Regis Bandstand has been unveiled after a project to restore it back to its former glory.
The heritage structure has been given a new lease of life thanks to a successful funding bid from Arun District Council to the Coastal Revival Fund, resulting in a £50,000 grant towards the work.
The project included rebuilding the intricate bandstand railings with new metalwork, a complete renovation of the roof and replacing the existing concrete floor and brick plinth with materials more in keeping with the original design.
Falcon Homes Ltd carried out the refurbishment, which started last year but took longer to complete than anticipated due to the Covid-19 pandemic. West Sussex-based Sloane & Brown Ltd ran the project for ADC as external consultants.
Karl Roberts, Director of Place at Arun District Council, said: “We are delighted to see the bandstand restored to its former glory after such a successful renovation project, it really does look fantastic.
“We are looking forward to formally opening the bandstand to allow people to appreciate the skill of the workmanship involved, but we’re holding off at the moment while social distancing and the rule of six is still in place as we don’t want to encourage any crowds to gather.”
The bandstand is a key feature of the promenade and was bought from Cheltenham Corporation in 1948 for just £175. A further £450 was then spent on dismantling the bandstand, transporting it to Bognor Regis and then rebuilding it.
A formal opening event will be held once further coronavirus restrictions are lifted to ensure the safety of those in attendance.
Image credit Sloane & Brown / Richard Sheriff