People who live on their own


Single Resident Discount

A Council Tax bill is based on two or more adults living in a property as their main home. If only one person over 18 lives in the property, we may reduce your Council Tax by 25%.

If there is more than one adult in the property, and all but one are not counted for Council Tax purposes - for example, a full time student - the council taxpayer will still qualify for a 25% discount. However, this would not be a single person discount, but a student disregard - so you should apply for the reduction that is appropriate to your household circumstances.

You can only claim a single person discount for your main home. You cannot claim it for a second home.

If someone who normally lives with you is temporarily away from home, for example working away or on holiday and only comes back occasionally, your property still counts as that person’s main home and you wouldn’t be eligible for single person discount in these circumstances.


How to apply

Apply - using the following link, go to the heading Council Tax Reductions and select I want to apply for a single person discount. Click here to access the Council Tax system.