Report a death


When someone dies

You should notify us when someone dies even if they were not the liable person, as it may affect the Council Tax for the property they resided in. If you do not know if the deceased was liable to pay Council Tax, you should see if their name appeared on the Council Tax bill sent to their home. If the deceased was named on the Council Tax bill then they were the liable person, but if you are unsure you can find out by emailing If the deceased was liable for the Council Tax, we will need the following information:

  • The date of death
  • Whether probate is being applied for
  • The name and address of the person dealing with the deceased’s affairs
  • Details of anyone else still living in the property
  • Details of ownership/the landlord of the property
  • Details of what will happen to the property if it is now empty


If the deceased lived alone

If the deceased person was the sole owner of the property and was either resident at the time of death or the property was vacant (no one was living there) then the property will be exempt from council tax from the date of death until 6 months after the date of probate or the letters of administration are granted. 

If the property is sold, a tenancy granted or anybody moves into the property during this exemption period, the exemption will automatically end.  

Where the deceased was a joint owner/tenant of a property at the date of death the joint owner/tenant falls liable for the council tax from the date of death.


If the deceased lived with you

If the deceased person lived with you, you may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax. If you are now the sole adult you will be entitled to a 25% single resident discount, unless you also qualify for another discount / exemption, in which case this figure may increase to 50%, or become a complete exemption.