How to Appeal

Housing Benefit

If you believe your housing benefit is wrong, you can ask us to explain how we worked it out or to look at the decision again.

You must contact us within one month of the date of the decision, although this may be extended under special circumstances.


How to appeal

You can use this appeals form, or contact the benefits section using the details at the bottom of this page.

When the review is complete we will either send you a new decision notice, or an explanation of why your entitlement did not change.

If you still disagree you have a further month from the date of the new decision to appeal.

Your appeal is made to an independent Tribunal. This must be made in writing to the Benefits Appeals Officer at the address at the bottom of this page. The outcome of this tribunal is final.

Further information can be found in the Housing Benefit Appeals Booklet.


Council Tax Reduction

If you believe your council tax reduction is wrong, you are entitled to request an explanation of how we made our decision and ask us to review it. You should contact us within two months of a decision to ask for it to be reviewed. You can request an explanation at any time.

Contact the benefits section using the details at the bottom of this page to request an appeal.

If you are still not happy with the decision, you have a further two months to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal of England by emailing , telephoning 0303 4458100, by fax at 01302 329935, or in writing to:

Valuation Tribunal Service - Council Tax Reduction Team

3rd Floor

Crossgate House

Wood Street


DN1 3LL                      

You can find out more about the process by visiting the Valuation Tribunal of England’s website.