Antisocial behaviour for council tenants

If you've been a victim of crime you should report this to the police on 101, or 999 if it's an emergency.

If you’re experiencing antisocial behaviour, you could try and talk to the person responsible. They may not realise their actions are affecting you. Only do this if you feel safe and comfortable.

If you are not able to resolve the problem, you can report it to us.

We take antisocial behaviour very seriously and are committed to working with our residents and external agencies to build safer communities.

When to report antisocial behaviour

Our officers only investigate antisocial behaviour carried out by our council tenants. If your report is concerning private residents or the source is unknown, please report this to either Sussex Police or by visiting our antisocial behaviour in your community page.

What is antisocial behaviour

We recognise antisocial behaviour to include, but is not limited to:

  • abuse, intimidation or harassment
  • hate behaviour / hate crime
  • domestic abuse
  • drug dealing
  • criminal activity
  • using violence or threatening to use violence against people or property
  • excessive or persistent noise, such as loud music, shouting or arguing, burglar alarms and dog barking
  • fly tipping and misuse of communal areas

What is not antisocial behaviour

We will not usually consider the following as antisocial behaviour:

  • personal disputes such as people not being pleasant to each other but are not sufficiently serious to justify our involvement
  • normal behaviour related to working patterns such as shift work
  • cooking smells
  • parking disputes
  • children playing
  • domestic noise or everyday living noise within a household such as flushing toilets, noise from household appliances, babies crying, running water or noise from moving around accommodation
  • complaints which do not amount to breaches of tenancy or licence agreements

How to report antisocial behaviour to us

When you report antisocial behaviour to us, we will ask you:

  • what happened
  • when did it happen
  • where did it happen
  • who was involved
  • how the incident affected you
  • have you reported it to the police (if you have we will ask you for the crime reference number and officer details)

You can contact us by:

To find out how we use and protect your data please view our privacy policy.

What happens next

We will then carry out an initial assessment to prioritise your case, this is to ensure that the most serious cases are dealt with quickly.

Where possible you will be given a single point of contact who will agree an action plan with you detailing how we will investigate and deal with your report.

We will ask you to keep a record of any further incidents. The best way of gathering information is to keep a diary sheet using: ASB Diary Sheets [docx] 254KB

We ask you to keep 2 weeks of diary sheets. These can be returned in the following ways:

scan and email to

post them to Neighbourhood services:
Arun District Council
Maltravers Road
BN17 5LF

If you are unable to complete diary sheets there are other ways you can report to us such as reporting by email. You can let us know which way is best for you.

If your report is not assessed as antisocial behaviour you will be notified and advice provided about other remedies available to you.

Supporting you

If you are experiencing antisocial behaviour, it can be tough and we understand that.

Our trained officers will keep in contact with you and talk to you about your support needs. We can help you find extra support from a range of local services in your area.

This can include: