Energy Efficiency


Following the Prime Minister’s updates regarding the continuing Coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic, resurgence of cases and rapid spread of a new variant of the virus and the imposition of new and extended restrictions in 2021, about which further information can be found at, the Private Sector Housing & Public Health team will not be undertaking site visits or property inspections until further notice, except in urgent emergency situations (as determined by the case officer) where appropriate precautions are in place.

This is not a permanent arrangement but will continue until the fall in Covid-19 cases is sufficient enough to allow the restrictions to be lifted or eased by the Government and in turn inspections recommenced by the team. Restrictions may be extended further by the Government depending upon the situation at the relevant time and these will dictate the inspection process and regime undertaken by the team for the foreseeable future.

All staff continue to work from home and have limited access to incoming and outgoing postal mail and correspondence is best via e-mail where possible. Any visits arranged during the pandemic may be subject to cancellation or change at short notice if there are changes to National, local or Council-directed policy, legislation or requirements, or where it is considered that appropriate precautions and/or social-distancing cannot be achieved.

These changes have been made to protect customers and staff from contracting or spreading the virus during these difficult times.

As well as advice on Coronavirus available via other links on the Arun District Council website, the following links may also be of particular use in regards to Housing issues:

Moving Property?
A link regarding moving from/to a new property during the Coronavirus restrictions for  Private Sector Tenants.
A link regarding moving from/to a new property or Halls of Residence for Students during the Coronavirus restrictions.


Arun is leading the Local Authority Flexible Eligibility Scheme (LA Flex) on behalf for all West Sussex local authorities. Companies can approach Arun with applications from residents for ECO (Energy Company Obligation) funding for loft and cavity wall insulation. We are not working with any specific companies or endorsing their work, residents need to carry out their our checks to make sure they are happy before they proceed.  Arun only approve funding if residents are eligible. SOI West Sussex Fuel Poverty Partnership V2.2 .pdf [pdf] 321KB  For detailed information on the eligibility criteria and process for referring households into the West Sussex Flexible Eligibility Scheme please contact Emma Pagett, Fuel Poverty Co-ordinator email:  or visit


Latest News

Energy Efficiency Grants

Arun District Council were successful in a joint bid to support people on a low income (Under £30K) and with a low EPC rating of D, E, F or G to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. This is called LAD (Local Authority Delivery) funding.  We are working with a company called Agility Eco, through their Warmer Homes Scheme

Go to and apply online or call 0800 038 5737 (free)

Below are some video links describing more about the scheme and some of the measures you can apply for:


Landlords: Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) for Private Rented Properties Update

Since 1 April 2020, landlords can no longer let or continue to let properties covered by the MEES Regulations if they have an EPC rating below E, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

  • If you are currently planning to let a property with an EPC rating of F or G, you need to improve the property’s rating to E, or register an exemption, before you enter into a new tenancy.
  • If you are currently letting a property with an EPC rating of F or G, and you haven’t already taken action, you must improve the property’s rating to E immediately, or register an exemption.
  • If your property is currently empty, and you are not planning to let it, you don’t need to take any action to improve its rating until you decide to let it again.

For further information please look at


Renting out a property? Do you know there is new legislation you need to comply with?
Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

As part of the Energy Act 2011, The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property)(England and Wales) Regulations 2015 establish a minimum level of energy efficiency for privately rented property in England and Wales. 

Rented domestic properties must now (as of April 2018) have a minimum EPC rating of E. Therefore F and G rated properties cannot be let.

EPC F and G rated properties waste energy. They impose unnecessary cost on tenants and the wider economy, and they contribute to avoidable greenhouse gas emissions.

From 1st April 2018 this regulation is for new tenancies only.

From 1st April 2020 this will be for all tenancies.

If you are renting an F or G rated property there is help available through Eco funding and the now privatised Green Deal Finance Company.

There is guidance for landlords regarding this legislation on the government website; along with details of support available and the exemptions register.

Arun District Council have produced a brief information leaflet for landlords to accompany this guidance you can view this here:  MEES info. sheet LL.pdf [pdf] 260KB


Free home energy visits for Arun residents

Arun Wellbeing Home service is here to help you Keep Warm and Keep Well. The free, friendly service aims to make your home more comfortable, energy efficient, and save you money.

They support people who live in their own home or in privately-rented accomodation and are in fuel poverty or have health conditions affected or made worst by cold homes. 

The qualified energy adviser supports you to improve the warmth of your home and reduce energy bills, provides information on tariff-switching and eligibility for grants, and advice on low-cost installable measures. 

They can provide phone advice or, where necessary, visit your home. 

(Please note: home visits & installing low cost energy saving measures are currently not available due to Covid-19).

Pleast visit Arun Wellbeing Home for more information. 


Home energy


Top ten tips for energy saving in the home

1. Fit draught proofing to seal any gaps around windows and doors. Fit flaps or brushes to keep the cold air from coming in through your letterbox.

2. Make sure you loft has at least 270mm (10-11 inches) of insulation.  Any home with 100mm (4 inches) or less should have it topped up.

3. Is your water too hot? Your cylinder thermostat shouldn’t need to be set higher than 60°C/140°F.  Make sure your cylinder and pipes have adequate insulation, and top them up if not.

4. Close your curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping through the windows, and make sure radiators are not blocked by curtains or furniture.

5. Always turn off the lights when you leave a room

6.  Don’t leave appliances on standby or leave unused charges switched on

7. If you’re not filling up the washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher, use the half-load or economy programme

8. Only boil as much water as you need in the kettle (but remember to cover the elements if your kettle is electric)

9. A dripping hot water tap wastes energy and in one week wastes enough hot water to fill half a bath, so fix leaking taps and make sure they’re fully turned off

10. Use energy saving light bulbs. An LED bulb will cost more to buy, but will last over 10 years and save you even more money in the long run

For more simple tips on saving energy go to the Energy Saving Trust website.


Energy grant finding tools

West Sussex Open4Community is a funding and support website for voluntary and community organisations. This portal provides you with comprehensive coverage of government, lottery, EU, non-government and charitable trust funding opportunities in your area. Follow this link to see West Sussex County Council grant information. The government grant finder tool can also help you to find energy grants.

Search the Energy Saving Trust for grants and offers available for measures you can take to improve your home.


Community energy

Oil clubs

To help obtain lower prices, local oil clubs are forming. An oil club, or oil syndicate, is where a group of residents place an order together, enabling them to negotiate a better price with oil suppliers. An added benefit is that oil deliveries can be better coordinated and reduce the number of journeys by oil tankers along our country lanes.


Business energy

West Sussex Sustainable Business Partnership

The West Sussex Sustainable Business Partnership offers free support to businesses within West Sussex to help them adopt sustainable business practices. The partnership provides  a wide range of services including:

  • Energy, Waste and Water Efficiency courses
  • Display Energy Certificates and Energy Audits
  • Learning and Networking Events

Please visit  West Sussex Sustainable Business Partnership  for more information.


Energy reporting

Energy Efficiency Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)  have been introduced to help improve the energy efficiency of buildings. All domestic and commercial buildings in the UK which are available to rent or buy must have an EPC. There has been some confusion over how the EPC regulations apply to HMOs. Please go to  HMO government information  to find details of which HMOs do and which do not require an EPC.  Display Energy Certificates (DEC)  are required for large public buildings - for example town halls, libraries, hospitals - to display certificates showing the energy efficiency of the building and requiring inspections for air conditioning systems.  For help finding an accredited person to undertake a domestic Energy Performance Certificate you can obtain an impartial list of assessors working in the area.  For help finding an accredited person to undertake an energy certificate (an EPC or a DEC) for a commercial building, you might like to try the Association of Commercial Energy Assessors; a not-for-profit organisation who can provide a list of some of the assessors operating in this area. Please note this list will only contain members of the ACEA but assessors are able to join the list for free. 


Renewable energy

The Energy Saving Trust website has information on the benefits of renewable energy, the different options available and what to consider if you are thinking about installing a renewable energy system in your home.


Planning permission & renewable energy

Many applicants will no longer need to apply for planning permission for domestic solar panels or ground source heat pumps due to changes to permitted development rights made in 2008. For an explanation of the planning requirements please see the national Planning Portal


Selling renewable energy

The smart export guarantee (SEG) is an obligation set by the government for licensed electricity suppliers to offer a tariff and make payment to small-scale low-carbon generators for electricity exported to the National Grid, providing certain criteria are met.  The SEG comes into force on 1 January 2020. For more information please visit:

Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) provides a guaranteed rate for heat generated using zero or low carbon technologies. It has been designed to provide financial support that encourages individuals, communities and businesses to switch from using fossil fuel for heating, to renewables such as wood fuel. 


Buying renewable energy

Since 2002, electricity companies have had to buy a proportion of their electricity from green power sources. As a result most now offer a Green Tariff, designed to provide as much electricity as possible from renewable or sustainable sources. Such sources include wind power, solar power and biomass energy, which avoid the harmful emissions associated with burning fossil fuels, or the risks associated with nuclear power. The electricity supply continues to come from the National Grid, using the same cables and meters.


'Free solar' schemes

Solar PV panels are expensive. But with the Feed-in Tariffs (FITs) available, they can be an attractive investment and some companies and groups are interested in helping you to take advantage of the opportunity. So you might find yourself being approached with some sort of finance package or rent your roof deal, particularly for solar PV although there are a lot less of these schemes around now that the Government have reduced the FIT. These "free" schemes normally include a free or low cost installation in exchange for allowing the company to pocket the entire FIT and allowing the householder to access the free energy from the solar as it is generated (the energy cannot be stored, if not used it will be exported to the main grid). It sounds like a fair deal but there are more issues to address than simply who pays and what they get in return, such as whether you want to sign up to such a scheme for the next 25 years, what the "buy out" clause is, who has liability for the equipment's performance, its insurance, planning permission etc.

More Information about Renewable Energy

Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) 
Official MCS Website 


Strategies and action plans


Previous versions of Statement of Intent – now superseded

V1.0 – Active between 22nd January 2018 and 30th May 2019  SOI West Sussex Fuel Poverty Partnership v1.0 - SUPERSEDED 30.05.19.pdf [pdf] 901KB

V2.0 - Active between 31st May 2019 and 23rd August 2019 SOI West Sussex Fuel Poverty Partnership v2.0 SUPERSEDED 27.08.19.pdf [pdf] 570KB

V2.1 - Active between 24 August 2019 and 5 January 2020  SOI West Sussex Fuel Poverty Partnership v2.1.pdf [pdf] 327KB


More information

For more information, please email
Call Helen Cooper, Energy Efficiency Officer on 01903 737743
Or visit the Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre website