How to report a damp or disrepair issue to us

How to use our online ‘submit a request’ form:

  1. Register or sign in (if registered before).
  2. Select Requests.
  3. Select Submit a request complaint.
  4. Complete the fields with your contact details.
  5. Select Disrepair / Damp from the Request Subject dropdown menu.
  6. In the additional information field provide your landlords or agents address, details of your concerns and the type of accommodation you live in.
  7. Upload the correspondence between yourself and your landlord or agent and any picture evidence showing the disrepair or damp issue.

Complete our online ‘submit a request’ form

Please note: If you do not provide your landlord or agents address we will not be able to help you until you can provide this information.

What happens next

An officer will then be in contact with you to discuss your concerns and talk through the options.

The property may be inspected and all hazards identified will be scored using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System to determine what action, if any, will be taken.

Your landlord may be requested to make repairs and legal notices can be served if they fail to do so.

For non urgent repairs we would usually give your landlord an opportunity to sort things out.

Our involvement is to improve the condition of the accommodation you live in, so it meets the minimum housing standards and you can continue to live there.