Making improvements and alterations to your council home

Only secure tenants and leaseholders (and some flexible fixed term tenants) have the right to make improvements and alterations to their council home.

You must get written permission from us before making any changes, improvements or alterations.

Examples of improvements you will need permission for

You must get permission before erecting, removing or installing:

  • internal doors
  • built in wardrobes and cupboards
  • kitchens and bathrooms
  • floor tiles, laminate or wooden flooring
  • gas or electric fires and wood burning stoves
  • any electrical additions or alterations, including new wiring and central heating
  • security fittings, including burglar alarms, CCTV, lighting and grilles on doors or windows
  • satellite dishes
  • garden walls and fencing
  • patios and driveways
  • adding textured coatings to internal or external walls and ceilings
  • painting the exterior of your home

How to request permission

To request permission:

Request improvements