Industrial air pollution

You can make a complaint about industrial air pollution online. Information about how to obtain a permit for any business or activity likely to cause air pollution is available below. 


Environmental permits 

The Environmental Health team issues permits under Environmental Permitting Regulations in respect of certain processes that have the potential to cause air pollution. Larger or more complex industrial processes, which are potentially more polluting or may contaminate land or water, are permitted by the Environment Agency. Arun District Council currently permits a total of 24 installations including petrol service stations, dry cleaning establishments, and 2 vehicle respraying premises, all operating under standard permit conditions. Four more complex installations operate under bespoke permit conditions,

The following premises have environmental permits:

Worthing Crematorium Crematorium
Finecast Foundry Limited Melting Aluminium
Cobbins Nurseries Limited Combustion of Waste Wood
Halo ARC Ltd Respraying of Road Vehicles
Tarmac Trading Ltd Production of coated roadstone
Nationwide Crash Repair Centre Respraying of Road Vehicles
EKA Concrete Cement batching
Rose Green Service Station Service Station
Pace Filling Station (Felpham) Service Station
Westergate Service Station Service Station
Cuff Miller Service Station
Crossbush Service Station Service Station
Tesco Littlehampton Service Station
Tesco Bognor Regis Service Station
Shell Eastfield Service Station
Shell Fontwell Service Station
BP Rustington Service Station
Regis Service Station Service Station
Sainsburys Bognor Regis Service Station
Morrisons Service Station
Asda Ferring Service Station
Colshaz Ltd Dry Cleaner
Kingfisher Cleaners Dry Cleaner
Beach Road Dry Cleaners Dry Cleaner
SLH Dry Cleaners Ltd Dry Cleaner




Application for an Environmental Permit to operate an installation at;

South Coast Skips Ltd,
Land Adjacent to Unit 5, Rudford Industrial Estate, Ford Road, Ford,
West Sussex, BN18 0BD.

This is to inform you that we have received the above application for a permit to operate an installation carrying out the activity of; Blending cement in bulk or using cement in bulk other than at a construction site, including the bagging of cement and cement mixtures, the batching of ready-mixed concrete and the manufacture of concrete blocks and other cement products.

The application has been placed on the public register held by Arun District Council, Civic Centre, Maltravers Road, Littlehampton, West Sussex, BN17 5LF. The application documents can be viewed below. 

If further information is required, please contact

Site Location.pdf [pdf] 763KB
Xerox_Scan.pdf [pdf] 88KB
Permit Application.pdf [pdf] 810KB
Volumetric Mixer Guide.pdf [pdf] 527KB


Summary of the local authority pollution control system

Local authorities must regulate certain types of factory and other activities such as dry cleaners. This is to reduce any pollution they may cause and help improve air quality. Businesses which operate these premises must have a permit from the Local Authority.  In law, the premises are known as "installations". They are divided into Part A1, Part A2 and Part B installations. The Environment Agency deals with Part A1 premises and  Local Authorities deal with Part A2 and Part B installations.  Local authorities deal with a large number of different installations such as glassworks, foundries, rendering plant, maggot breeders, petrol stations, concrete crushers, sawmills and paint manufacturers. Regulations say exactly which installations need a permit, but in several cases only larger installations need one. 


Getting a permit

The operator of the installation must apply for a permit, for which there is a fee. Relevant members of the public and other organisations are consulted during the consideration of the application.  If the permit is issued, it must include conditions which will say how pollution is to be minimised. The Government has published guidance for each type of installation.  If the authority decides to refuse a permit, a business can appeal to the Government. A business can also appeal if it has received a permit but does not agree with any of the conditions.
Once a permit is issued, the operator must comply with the permit conditions and pay an annual charge. Installations are rated as high, medium or low risk. This is based on two things - what the environmental impact would be if something went wrong and how reliable and effective the operator of the installation is.  The annual charge is lower for low and medium risk installations.
Local authorities have powers if a business does not comply with its permit or operates without one. They can serve various sorts of legal notice and can also take the business to court. We try to work with businesses to solve problems, and only use legal measures as a last resort. Officers also often try to advise on money saving ways of reducing pollution.
You will find the law in the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 , statutory instrument number 2007/3538.  The Part B system is known as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC). The A2 system is Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC).  For many of the listed installations, the Regulations also implement European Community Directives. For more guidance on pollution standards please see the  General Guidance Manual .
Defra is the Government Department responsible for the system in England.  Contact details are  or telephone 08459 33 55 77.