Privacy notice private sector housing and public health team
We collect information about you in order to provide you with the following service: dealing with service requests/complaints relating to private sector housing, public health and the pest control service. Our private sector housing and public health team privacy notice explains how we use your personal information and tells you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.
Information we collect
We will be asking you for:
- your personal details including name, address, contact number, email address
- if the property is rented, details regarding landlord and/or managing agent
- any information you have included to support your complaint such as reports, photographs, plans, maps and drawings
- any information gathered during the investigation of a complaint
Why we collect this information
We collect information such as:
- your personal details so we can contact you to discuss your request/complaint and to keep you updated in regard to any actions taken
- your personal data, which will be processed for duties in relation to our functions of investigating private sector housing or public health related matters, in accordance with the legislation the officers are appropriately authorised
Who we might share your information with
We might share your information with:
- West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service as it is a legal requirement to consult them in relation to any required fire safety measures
- our planning and building control department to ascertain if the property has the correct planning use and whether any conversion works or alterations have the correct building regulation and planning permission/approval
- our land charges department to record any formal notices issued against the property
- other internal services where there is a lawful purpose for sharing data, including an investigation by a regulatory function such as for the detection of fraudulent receipt of benefits
- government departments/agencies such as HMRC
- the police to assist them with investigations
- customer satisfaction surveys to ensure that we are meeting our customers' expectations and to enable us to review what we could do better
- adjoining local authorities to enable them to fulfil their duties
- West Sussex County Council to enable them to fulfil their duties
- the public register where there is a legal requirement to, this information will be published on our website
In addition, if we receive a request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) or Environmental Information Regulations (EIR), to disclose information, we are obliged to do so unless the information is deemed exempt under the Act - we can only withhold information under FOI or EIR if the information falls under one of the exemptions (FOI) or exceptions (EIR) set out in legislation.
What we do with your information
- use the information to investigate the request/complaint
- confirm property ownership details
- use your details for correspondence relating to the request/complaint
- retain your details on our Private Sector Housing and Environmental Health database
How long we keep your information
We will keep your information electronically for seven years from closure of the case.
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance or directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
You can also contact our Data Protection Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.