Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) and other guidance
About Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG)
Supplementary Guidance Notes are prepared by the Local Planning Authority to provide additional advice and guidance on specific planning issues within the district. They are non-statutory documents, but are a material consideration that the council will take into account when considering an application. In addition to which the Council has produced two Supplementary Documents. The Council has produced the following Supplementary Planning Guidance, building upon policies in the Local Plan, providing more detailed advice on particular topics or areas:
- Open Space & Recreation Standards
- Conservation Areas [pdf] 3MB October 2000
- Parking Standards
- Telecoms [pdf] 23KB - October 2000
- Advertisements [pdf] 77KB - September 2003
- Archaeology [pdf] 926KB - September 2003
- Middleton-on-Sea Village Design Statement - December 2000
These documents can be viewed or obtained from Arun District Council. To receive copies please telephone Planning Services on 01903 737756 or write to us at the address below.
Arun District Design Guide SPD
Post Regulation 12b Public Participation
The Council have considered the responses received during the Regulation 12b Public Participation period which closed on 14th October 2020 and the document has been revised to address the representations and suggestions received.
The summary of the representations is included in the Statement of Representation and the revised Design Guide SPD is available below and will be taken to Planning Policy Sub Committee to be agreed and referred to Full Council of 13 January 2021 for Adoption.
- Statement of Representation: Statement of representation November 2020.pdf [pdf] 1MB
- Arun District Design Guide SPD 2021: Arun District Design Guide SPD_Final 2021.pdf [pdf] 82MB
- Arun District Design Guide SPD (low resolution): ADDG SPD_Final_Low Resolution.pdf [pdf] 64MB
- Arun District Design Guide Non-Technical Summary: 20201208 ADDG Draft Non-Technical Summary.pdf [pdf] 19MB
The Arun Design Guide SPD – Final Draft January 2021 incorporates all the proposed changes (as identified in the Appendix of the Statement of Representation) and is now interactive. This means that when you pass your cursor over a button it changes colour, before you press it to go to the actual location.
Buttons can be found at the following locations:
- Table of Contents: Buttons before each section and letters-buttons before each chapter.
- Cover of each section: Letter-buttons before each chapter title and round button next to the section title bringing you to the beginning of the document.
- At each page at the top right corner: Section indication leading you to the beginning of the section and chapter-letter buttons getting you to the beginning of each additional chapter.
- Round icons at the beginning of the abbreviation table, the reference list and the glossary linking you to the beginning of the document.
- At the reference list, all document titles are linking to the additional resources.
The Arun District Parking Standards takes standards and evidence produced and consulted on by the County Council, along with its own documentation and tailored it to make it applicable to the situation within Arun District. The Parking Standards SPD relates to the amount of parking, cycle and electric vehicle charging points expected to be provided within development of differing sizes.
The Arun District Council Parking Standards January 2020 SPD was officially adopted at the Full Council meeting of 15th January 2020. The document and the relevant statement of adoption can be viewed using the links below.
The previous Parking Standards – October 2000 will go through the process of revocation following this decision and a notice put on this page once this has finished.
The Arun District Council Public Open Space, Playing Pitches and Built Facilities January 2020 SPD was officially adopted at the Full Council meeting of 15th January 2020. The document, associated Open Space & Play Calculator and the relevant statement of adoption can be viewed using the links below or at Civic Centre, Littlehampton; Bognor Town Hall or any of the libraries within Arun District.
Arun District Public Open Space, Playing Pitches and Built Facilities SPD (hyperlinked to 3rd attachment). Note the previous .pdf version of the OS SPD uploaded after adoption on 15 January 2020 has been replaced with the corrected version with regard to header and footer dates (i.e. January 2020 - not May 2019) and an amended footnote 4 on page 14 to correctly describe the threshold for off-site contributions for Play space. Further addendum June 2020: the Final OS SPD linked below has been edited to delete the following last sentance text in para 4.20 which was incorrect - In instances where the number of dwellings falls between 34 – 83 there will be a need for on-site provision of a LEAP in addition to an off-site contribution towards a NEAP.”
The Open Space .xls Calculator applies thresholds for helping to determine on and off-site contributions. However, with the introduction of the Community Infrastructure Levy (1 April 2020) in Arun, some developments will now be CIL liable and therefore off site provision not permissible via s.106 but will need to be made via CIL monies. Please consult ADC staff should this be the case or if there are other circumstances that affect on-site provision.
The previous Open Space & Recreation Standards – October 2000 will go through the process of revocation following this decision and a notice put on this page once this has finished.
Changing Places toilets
Arun District recognises that there are a proportion of the population with complex disabilities and impairments but that they need to be able to safely and comfortably spend time away from home. On this basis the District Council wish to promote the inclusion of Changing Place Toilets in as many suitable developments as possible.
The leaflet below sets out:
- What these should incorporate;
- Where these cane be provided;
- The benefits of providing these facilities;
- The potential costs involved; and
- How they can be installed.
New Conservation Area
Craigweil House was designated by Arun District Council on the 15th April 2009 as a new Conservation Area. It should be noted that Craigweil House is now an additional Conservation Area supplemental to the list of Conservation Areas shown in the Supplementary Planning Guidance Document published in October 2000.
New Standards for Affordable Housing
On the 21st February 2007 Full Council agreed to use new standards for affordable housing which are in line with PPS3. It was agreed that after 1st April 2007 all applications for affordable housing should be considered against the new standards, which can be viewed on the Housing evidence page.
Accommodation for older people and people with disabilities
The document and comment forms that were consulted on can be seen below:
Accommodation for Older People and People with Disabilities FINAL Consultation document.pdf [pdf] 1MB
Representation Procedure FINAL Representation Procedure.docx.pdf [pdf] 100KB
ARCHIVED DECEMBER 2020 - Arun District Design Guide
Regulation 12b Public participation (4 weeks)
16th September to 5pm on 14th October 2020
The Council have considered the responses received during the consultation which closed on 21st February 2020 and the document has been revised to address the representations and suggestions received during the consultation.
The Council is making this information available under Regulations 35 (Availability of documents: General) and 12b (Public participation) of the Town and Country Planning Regulations (2012) for 4 weeks from 16th September to 5pm on 14th October 2020.
The summary of the representations is included in the Consultation Statement and the revised Design Guide SPD and the Non-Technical summary is available below:
- Consultation Statement with Appendices Consultation Statement with Appendices.pdf [pdf] 54MB
- Arun Design Guide SPD 20200519_ADDG_Final Draft_Interactive 1.pdf [pdf] 81MB
- Arun Design Guide SPD (reduced size) 20200519 ADDG Final Draft reduced size.pdf [pdf] 63MB
- Arun Design Guide Non -Technical Summary 20200519 ADDG Draft Non-Technical Summary.pdf [pdf] 19M
- Consultation Statement with no Appendices Appendix i - Consultation Statement no appendices.pdf [pdf] 946KB
- Modification Table Appendix ii - Modification table.pdf [pdf] 518KB
Due to COVID-19 restrictions we are unable to have any hard copy deposit points so the documents can only be viewed electronically. This complies with the temporary suspensions of Regulation 35 and the temporary suspensions in the Arun Statement of Community Involvement.
If you wish to be notified of adoption of the SPD then please include this in a separate statement at the beginning or end of any correspondence. All correspondence must be received by 5pm on 14th October 2020.