Making a Planning Application (and forms)


Please note that if you are making an application for a site that lies within The South Downs National Park you will need to make your application directly to them.

Arun District Council supports online applications made using the Planning Portal. Once you have completed your application, you may submit it electronically, or send it by post. You can also use the online applications service to produce a site location plan to accompany your application. Online payments are accepted by the authority when submitting your application. Go to the online submission registration page to set yourself up on the Planning Portal and begin the application process.  Please note, we offer a pre-application planning advice service, which may be of assistance if you are considering submitting an application.

We recommend that you consult the  National Validation Requirements.pdf[pdf] 193KB.

Arun District Council also has various local validation requirements which depend on the type of application being made. For planning applications, not including: Householder, Listed Building, Advert, Works to Trees, Non Material Amendments, Matters Reserved by Condition, Prior Notification applications or Certificates of Lawfulness, please use our  Local Validation Requirements [pdf] 201KB  and the accompanying  Local Validation Checklist.pdf[pdf] 99KBbefore accessing the Portal, as applications will be treated as invalid if you do not submit all the information indicated in our validation requirements lists. 

To assist householders there is a separate shorter  Householder Validation Requirements List.pdf[pdf] 115KB  which combines the national and local requirements which are specific to householder applications in one document. 

There is also a separate  Listed Building Validation Requirements List.pdf [pdf] 26KB  to assist customers making Listed Building applications. 

Planning applications will also require a completed Biodiversity Checklist.pdf [pdf] 100KB. (Further guidance can be found in the Biodiversity Guidance Notes [pdf] 150KB)

If you experience any problems whilst using the Planning Portal please contact the Portal Helpdesk on 0303 444 8800.

If you do not own the land where the development is proposed, you will need to serve a notice on the landowner informing them that you are making a planning application. There are three different forms that you may need to use for this purpose



To determine the correct fee you can either use the fee calculator or download the document Planning Fees 2018.pdf [pdf] 150KB . If you are still unsure you can contact us on 01903 737756.


Quick links to useful documents

Pagham Harbour zones A and B 0-5km map.pdf [pdf] 13MB indicating where the legal template applies (please note the zones are far wider than the parish of Pagham so please check to see whether units fall within the zones)

If you are unable to make an application online, you can print out the relevant forms from the list below and submit them to us in paper form. There are a number of different application forms depending on your proposal. For help in picking the correct form please call us on 01903 737756.

Householder Forms

Applying to build domestic extensions, loft conversions, new or altered access, garages and outbuildings, garden fences or walls and satellite dishes.

Article 13 Notice for Householder Applications [pdf] 132KB for applications where notice is to be served on land owners.
To check fees or download the fee form: Planning Fees 2018.pdf [pdf] 150KB.
Full Application Forms

Erection of building(s) where you do not wish to make an Outline Planning Application. Erection of an extension to a Commercial Development or Places of Public Assembly i.e. Industrial, office, warehousing, storage, shopping, restaurant, hotel, commercial buildings, rest and nursing homes. Some applications for permanent residential dwellings (including change of use) will attract an affordable housing contribution.

To check fees or download a fee form  Planning Fees 2018.pdf [pdf] 150KB

Outline Application Forms

Applications to establish the principal of a proposal. New build only. Not to be used for householder extensions. Some applications for permanent residential dwellings (including change of use) will attract an affordable housing contribution.

Article 13 Notice [pdf] 120KB

To check fees or download a fee form  Planning Fees 2018.pdf [pdf] 150KB


Article 13 Notice [pdf] 120KB

Article 13 Notice for Minor Commercial Applications [pdf] 132KB

To check fees or download a fee form Planning Fees 2018.pdf [pdf] 150KB

Prior Notification Forms