Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) administer and pay Universal Credit.

You may be able to claim Universal Credit if you are on a low income or out of work. 

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits: 

  • Child Tax Credit 
  • Housing Benefit 

  • Income Support 

  • income based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) 

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

  • Working Tax Credit 

If your circumstances do not change, you’ll continue to get your current benefits. The DWP will let you know when you need to transfer onto Universal Credit. 

You must claim Housing Benefit for help with your rent if:  

  • you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing 

You can no longer make a new claim for Pension Credit as a couple unless both of you are over State Pension age. You will need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead. 

Extra help

If you need help with paying your Council Tax you can apply for Council Tax Reduction

You may find that the housing element of Universal Credit is not enough to pay your rent. 

The Discretionary Housing Payment Scheme may be able to help you pay the shortfall for a short period.