Council Tax Reduction


You may be entitled to claim a council tax reduction (CTR) if you are the liable person, on a low income and have savings and investments below £16,000. The only exception to this is if you are in receipt of guaranteed pension credit.

Please note that every claimant who is of working age will have to pay at least £3.70 per week towards their council tax charge regardless of income.

Arun District Council has produced a comprehensive Guide to the Council Tax Reduction scheme.pdf [pdf] 1MB . If you would like to find out how any non-dependant adults living at your property may affect your claim, please see the information at the bottom of this page.


Making a claim

You will need to complete a claim form. You can collect one from either of our offices, or call us on 01903 737753 to request one in the post. Once you have completed the form and gathered all of the necessary documentation (see part 15 of the claim form for a checklist) please return it all to us. You can do this by post to the Littlehampton address at the foot of this page, or in person to either office. Home visits can be arranged if necessary, please phone 01903 737753 to discuss this. 

Depending on your circumstances, the reduction can be backdated up to a maximum of 1 month prior to the date we receive the request for backdated CTR.

The amount of reduction you are entitled to will be applied to your account, and you will be sent a revised council tax bill reflecting these changes. If you would like to change your method of payment, please read our page on how to pay your council tax.


Second adult rebate

If you do not qualify for a council tax reduction but have an adult on low income living with you, you may be entitled to claim a second adult rebate. Second adults are normally grown up children or parents. The claim would be based on the second adult's gross income, and is calculated as follows:

  • 25% - If in receipt of Income Support, Guaranteed Pension Credit, Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • 15% - If gross income is under £200.99 per week
  • 7.5% - If gross income is between £201.00 and £259.99 per week
  • Nil - If gross income is more than £260.00 per week

You can make a claim by completing the second adult rebate form. Please note that you cannot claim if you have already been awarded council tax reduction. 


Non-dependant adult deduction

A non-dependant adult is anyone who shares your property with you, but is not financially dependent on you. Adult children, relatives or friends would be considered non-dependants. The presence of these people may affect your claim for council tax reduction as it is reasonable to expect that they contribute towards household costs. Therefore, depending on the circumstances of both the claimant and any non-dependants, a reduction may be taken from your award.

No reduction will be made if the non-dependant is claiming Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) or Pension Credit.

If the non-dependant is working less than 16 hours a week, the lowest deduction will apply. If they are working more than 16 hours the level of deduction will depend on their income. A further explanation of the reductions is laid out below.

  • £3.90 per week – If aged over 18 and not in work
  • £3.90 per week – If in paid work and gross income is less than £202.84 per week
  • £7.90 per week – If in paid work and gross income is between £202.85 and £351.64 per week
  • £9.95 per week – If in paid work and gross income is between £351.65 and £436.89 per week
  • £11.90 per week – If in paid work and gross income is above £436.90


Council Tax Discretionary Relief Payment

Customers who need financial assistance towards paying their Council Tax should always apply for Council Tax Reduction.

Customers who are in severe financial difficulties and are already in receipt of Council Tax Reduction can apply for a Council Tax Discretionary Relief payment by calling 01903 737753 for an application form or using our online form.

Please note that discretionary awards can only be backdated for a maximum period of one year, so please submit your application as soon as possible.

You can download and read the  2019 CTR policy.pdf [pdf] 236KB


Change of circumstances

Your council tax reduction is likely to be affected if your circumstances change. You must inform us immediately if any of the following changes:

  • Where you live
  • The people you live with
  • Your income
  • Your bank account, savings or investments

You can report a change to your circumstances using the change of circumstances form. If we require supporting evidence, you can send it by post to the address at the bottom of this page, bring it in to either of our offices, or send it as an attachment to You must include the following information:

  • Claim reference number
  • Full name and address
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance Number

If your change of circumstance affects your entitlement, we will send you a revised decision notification. Please look at this example of the Council tax reduction notification [pdf] 92KB for an explanation of the layout and where to find the information we are requesting from you.



If you believe your council tax reduction is wrong, you are entitled to request an explanation of how we made our decision and ask us to review it. An explanation may be requested at any time, but you must contact us within 2 months of the date of the decision if you wish for it to be reviewed. You can put this request in writing to the address at the bottom of this page, by emailing or telephoning 01903 737753. If you are still not happy with the decision, you have a further 2 months to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal of England by emailing, telephoning 0300 1231033, by fax at 01302 321447, or in writing to:

Council Tax Reduction Team
First Floor
Hepworth House
2 Trafford Court
E1 8EU                

You can find out more about the process by visiting the Valuation Tribunal of England’s website.