Animal Licensing


The Government has ruled that many businesses must now remain closed. this includes that latest lists of businesses which should remain closed and can remain open.

New Animal Licensing Regime

Animal licensing guidance forms:

Dog Breeding Guidance - Updated 16.03.20.pdf [pdf] 606KB
Providing Daycare for Dogs.pdf [pdf] 444KB
Home Boarding for Dogs.pdf [pdf] 491KB
Selling animals as pets Guidance - Updated 16.03.20.pdf [pdf] 870KB
Hiring out Horses.pdf [pdf] 455KB
Keeping or Training Animals for Exhibition.pdf [pdf] 515KB
Boarding for Cats.pdf [pdf] 1MB
Guidance notes for conditions for providing boarding in kennels for dogs

Animal licensing application forms:

animal boarding.doc [doc] 91KB
Breeding.doc [doc] 92KB
Hiring Horses.doc [doc] 114KB
Pet Vending.doc [doc] 113KB
Perfoming Animals.doc [doc] 105KB
Animals for Exhibition.doc [doc] 104KB

On 1 October 2018 The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into force. These regulations will replace a number of pieces of existing legislation set to be repealed at the end of 2018 and will provide a new single licensing regime for a number of animal licensing activities.

Those undertaking the following activities need to be licensed under the new regime:

  • Selling animals as pets
  • Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs (including day care)
  • Hiring out horses
  • Breeding dogs
  • Keeping or training animals for exhibition

Before making an application you will need to ensure that you comply with the guidelines provided, you will also need to provide the following documentation with the application:

Also to assist the application we recommend the following is also supplied:

  • Relevant qualifications
  • Training records
  • Insurance policy
  • Written permission from your landlord if you are not the owner of the property.
  • A basic DBS check

Please note that an application must be submitted a minimum of eight weeks before a current permission expires or before required at initial application.

The Regulations can be found here

Zoos and Dangerous and Wild Animals will continue to be licensed under existing legislation.

Please see our Fees and Charges document. for fees relating for zoos and dangerous wild animals.


Dangerous wild animals

We issue licences under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. The Act does not apply to Zoos, Circuses, Pet Shops or to establishments registered for carrying out animal experiments. Arun District Council has a power of entry and inspection of premises which hold a Licence and may seize any dangerous wild animals which is being kept on the premises if the animal is unlicensed, or where any condition of the Licence is not being complied with.  Areas considered in respect of issuing a Licence include the accommodation, which should be secure, and suitable in respect of its construction size, temperature, lighting, ventilation, draining and cleanliness. The accommodation must be supplied with adequate and suitable food, drink and bedding material and must be visited at suitable intervals. There must also be emergency provisions, such as in respect of fire or in cases of infectious disease. Further information can be found on the DEFRA web site. The fees can be found in our Fees and Charges document.

Dangerous Wild Animals Licence application form.pdf [pdf] 41KB



The Zoo Licensing Act 1981 applies to any establishment, other than a Circus or Pet Shop, where wild animals are kept for public exhibition on more than seven days in any consecutive twelve months. Licences are granted initially for four years and thereafter are normally renewable every six years. The Secretary of State for the Environment has specified standards of modern Zoo practice to which Local Authorities must have regard. These can be found on the  DEFRA web site.  Inspections of zoos are required under the Act and local authorities carry them out with two inspectors nominated by the Secretary of State and up to three appointed by the local authority, at least one of whom will be a veterinary surgeon or practitioner. Arun District Council has only one Zoo in the district; this is the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust in Arundel. The fees can be found in our Fees and Charges document.


Further information

For more information regarding licensing, please contact the Arun District Council licensing team on 01903 737755 or write to the address at the bottom of this page. Email .