Dangerous wild animals’ licence (DWA)

You’ll need a licence to keep some animals for example:

  • wild cats
  • primates
  • wild dogs, for example wolves
  • wild boar
  • marsupials
  • alligators and caimans
  • crocodiles

Full list of animals that need a licence.

This licence does not apply to zoos, circuses, pet shops or premises registered for animal experiments.

We can seize a DWA if we find that it does not have a licence or where we find that you have not followed the conditions of a licence.

Before we issue a licence, we will inspect the premises and consider:

  • the accommodation which should:
    • be secure
    • be suitable in size
    • have correct temperature settings for the animal
    • have adequate lighting and drainage
    • be kept clean
  • there is suitable food, drink and bedding material for the animal
  • that the animal is visited at suitable times
  • emergency provisions in case of fire or infectious disease

Apply for a new licence or to renew a licence

You’ll need to apply at least 8 weeks before:

  • getting a dangerous wild animal
  • the expiry of a current licence

You’ll need to give us the following information on the application:

  • the species of animal
  • the sex of each animal
  • the number of animals for each species
  • the premises where you will keep the animals
  • a plan of the premises where you will keep the animals
  • a site plan of neighbouring properties
  • a copy of your insurance certificate with the species named on the policy and should include Public liability of a minimum £5,000,000

The licence duration is 2 years.

There is a fee for this service. You should pay part A when you submit your application.

You will also be liable for any vet inspection fees.

Make an online payment

You’ll need a credit or debit card for this.

1. Select the button below and then follow the onscreen instructions

2. After receiving your payment receipt you’ll need to forward this email to licensing@arun.gov.uk.

Make a payment online

Accordion end

Apply for a new or renewal dangerous wild animal licence