Temporary event notice

A temporary event notice (TEN) is used to authorise small-scale ad hoc events held in or on any premises involving no more than 499 people and for a maximum of 168 hours at any one time.

You must be 18 years or over to apply for a TEN.

If you want to have more than 499 people or have reached the maximum number of TENs this year (15 TENs and maximum number of days is 21) you’ll need to apply for a premises licence

Types of TEN

There are 2 types of TEN:

  1. Standard TEN – you submit the application with at least 10 clear working days this does not include the date it was sent or the date of the event 
  2. Late TEN - there are between 5 and 9 working days from the date of submission this does not include the date it was sent or the date of the event . You should only use these in exceptional circumstances.

For the calculation of working days, you should not count the day the TEN is submitted or the day the event starts as one of the working days.

Limits on how many TENs can be submitted each year (from January to January)

  • a personal licence holder can submit a maximum of 50 TENs per calendar year of which 10 can be late TENs
  • a non-personal licence holder can submit a maximum of 5 TENs per calendar year of which 2 can be late TENs
  • a premises can host a maximum of 15 TENs covering a maximum of 21 days per calendar year (as per 2022/2023 guidelines)

To apply

You need to include the following details in your application:

  • a personal licence number if you have a personal licence
  • the premises licence or club premises certificate number if it is licensed to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or serve food after 11pm

After selecting the button below you’ll need to:

  1. Have a credit or debit card for payment.
  2. Create an account if you do not already have one.
  3. Select licensing.
  4. Select apply for a licence.
  5. Select Licensing Act 2003.
  6. Select temporary event notice.
  7. Select A1 - new L44 – TEN.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions.

There is a fee for this service.

Please note TEN applications cannot be amended and are non- refundable whether the events proceed or not.

Apply for a TEN

After you apply

The responsible authorities have 3 working days after receipt to make an objection to the TEN.

If we receive an objection for a standard TEN and the notice is not withdrawn then we would schedule a licensing sub-committee hearing.

The sub-committee will make the decision on whether the event can go ahead. If all parties make an agreement before the meeting then, the meeting will not go ahead.

For a late TEN, if the police or environmental health make an objection the event cannot go ahead and a counter notice will be issued.

If there are no objections to the TEN, we will send you an acknowledgement letter.

You should print and display a copy of the TEN at the premises.

If the TEN is not authorised because:

  • there were objections to the late TEN from the police or our environmental health team
  • the licensing sub-committee have decided that the event cannot take place
  • you have exceeded the permitted number of days or events

We will issue you with a counter notice.

This is a formal notification that you cannot hold the event.

Appealing against the decision

There is no right of appeal against an objection to a late TEN.

You can appeal to your local magistrates' court where our licensing sub-committee issue a counter notice to a standard TEN.

You must do this within 21 days and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Our local court is normally Brighton Magistrates' Court.