Change in circumstances

Regardless of who you rent from or what state benefits you claim; it is your responsibility to tell the benefits department of any changes of circumstances that may affect your entitlement to housing benefit or council tax reduction. Do not rely on us to find out or someone else to tell us of your changes.

Your housing benefit and council tax reduction is likely to be affected by any of the following changes:

  • Your rent
  • Where you live
  • The people who live with you
  • Your income
  • Your bank accounts
  • Your savings and investments
  • Any absences from the property (hospital, holidays, prison etc.)

This list isn’t exhaustive, you should tell us straight away if you have any changes in your circumstances.

If you don’t, you may miss out on extra benefit you are entitled to. You may also be receiving too much benefit and must pay it back later. Find out more about overpayments.


How to report a change

You can report a change online using the online Citizen Access change of circumstances form.

Further contact details are at the bottom of this page.


Changes to payments

If you would like to change the bank account your benefit is paid into, please complete the online Citizen Access change of circumstances form.

If you are in private rented accommodation and are having trouble managing your money, you can request that your benefit is paid directly to your landlord. You can read more about this in our Payment to Landlords Policy.


Moving to a new house and benefit overlaps

When you move to a new house, you might have to pay rent on both properties for a short period. You may be awarded extra help during this time. This overlap will only be awarded for the period between the date you move into your new address and the date the tenancy ends on the old property.

Please complete this change of circumstances form.


Additional forms

Business Income & Expenditure Form

Child Care Details

Employers Certificate

Non Dependant Form