Having a non-dependent person living with you may affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction claim.

Someone over 18 who lives with you may affect how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you get because they are expected to pay towards housing costs and Council Tax.  

They can be: 

  • relatives 

  • friends 

  • children who’ve left school or college and who you no longer get Child Benefit for 

We take set amounts off your benefit for them based on their income. 

We do not make a deduction for any non-dependent if you or your partner: 

  • are blind or have recently regained sight 

  • get the care component of Disability Living Allowance or daily living component of Personal Independence Payment 

  • get Attendance Allowance 

We do not make a deduction if the non-dependent is: 

  • under 18 

  • getting pension credit 

  • a full-time student (except for Housing Benefit during the summer holidays if they work 16 hours or more per week and both you and your partner are under 65) 

  • for Housing Benefit claims 

  • under 25 years old and:  

  • getting Income Support 

  • getting income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) 

  • is in the assessment phase of income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

  • has no earned income and is getting Universal Credit 

  • for Council Tax Reduction claims: 

  • getting Income Support 

  • getting income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) 

  • getting ESA (income related) 

  • has no earned income and is getting Universal Allowance 

A deduction of £16.45 per week is made if the non-dependent is: 

  • over 25 and getting Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (income based) 

  • getting the main phase ESA (income related) 

  • over 18 and not in paid work 

  • over 18 and in paid work with a weekly gross income less than £154.00 

Non-dependent deductions
Non-dependant’s weekly income before tax  Amount Housing Benefit reduced by each week 
Less than £154 £16.45
Between £154 and £223.99 £37.80
Between £224 and £291.99 £51.85
Between £292 and £388.99 £84.85
Between £389 and £483.99 £96.60
£484 or more  £106.05


Tell us about any non-dependants living with you