Rent increases

Your rent will be increasing from 4 April 2022. Find out more about the rise and what you may need to do about it on this page.

Why rents are increasing 

The rent money you pay is used to provide our services to you as tenants, including maintaining and repairing our properties. We are only allowed to use your rent payments to support services directly related to housing. 

To ensure we can continue to offer you the best possible services, we are increasing the amount of rent we charge this year. 

The increase 

This year (2022/23) your rent will increase by 4.1% from 4 April 2022. You will receive a letter showing your new rent and service charges for the coming year.  

The amount we can increase your rent is decided by the Regulator of Social Housing.  

The regulator’s rent setting guidance allows us to increase rent by the maximum of the consumer price index (CPI) plus 1%. 

This year, the CPI figure is 3.1%. With the extra 1%, the maximum amount rents could increase is 4.1% 

The consumer price index

CPI – the Consumer Price Index – is a figure used to measure inflation. It reflects how much the price of common goods and services changes over time across the UK.  

The CPI is taken from a point in time which is usually the September before the rent increase (September 2021). At this point the CPI was 3.1%. 

CPI is higher than last year because the cost of goods and services has increased more than it has done in previous years. 

accordion end

Utility charges 

Utility charges are based on actual consumption for the previous year (2021/22) and change based on annual usage and unit costs. 

If you pay your utility charges through Arun District Council, then these increases will not be reflected in your charges until the next financial year (2023/24).  

There is support and advice services available if you are concerned about rising energy prices. Please visit West Sussex Energy or Citizens Advice to find out more. 

What you need to do 

If you’re on benefits 

Universal Credit 

You must tell Universal Credit (UC) that your rent has changed. You must update your online journal with your new rent within 14 days of it changing. 

The date your rent changes is on your rent notification letter. It is important you update your UC as soon as your rent changes. 

To do this log in to your UC online account, under the heading ‘where you live and what it costs’ put in the new rent figures given to you in your letter. If you forget, do it as soon as possible as any delays may cause you to be paid the incorrect amount and result in you accruing rent arrears. 

Housing Benefit 

Our benefits team know about the rent increase and will assess your housing benefit with the new rents.  
You must always inform the benefits department if there have been any other changes in your circumstances

Paying your rent 

Direct Debit 

Your Direct Debit will automatically be adjusted, and your Direct Debit instruction will be updated from your April 2022 payment. We will tell you the new amount we will be taking before the first payment is due. 

Standing order 

You will need to amend your Standing Order with your bank to ensure it covers the new rent amount from April 2022. 

Paying online or via Allpay 

Make sure the payments you make are correct and cover the new rent amount. 

If you don’t pay your rent 

Payment of your rent and service charge should be a top priority from your outgoings. If your rent is not paid and you do not engage with us for a resolution, we will seek possession of the property via the County Court. 

We are here to help you, so please contact us as soon as possible if you are having financial problems. Get in touch with your Neighbourhood Housing Officer as soon as possible by calling 01903 737534. 

Check your rent balance 

Text the word BALANCE to 07520 646606 and we will text you your balance. 

You can also use our online housing portal, i-housing. This will enable you to access some housing services 24 hours a day.  

You can register for i-housing online.  
We will email you a password to the email address you provide. 

If you’re worried about affording your rent 

Get in touch with your Neighbourhood Housing Officer as soon as possible by calling 01903 737534. We also have a Financial Inclusion Officer who can offer support and check whether you are entitled to any benefits.  

There are also lots of organisations that can help, and we have a page dedicated to debt advice and energy efficiency