Other Licences


Sex shops

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 allows local authorities to consider what number of "sex establishments" (a sex shop or a sex cinema) are appropriate for their area. If a licence is granted it will be renewable on an annual basis. A sex shop means, "any premises etc. used for a business which consists to a significant degree of selling, hiring, exchanging, lending, displaying or demonstrating sex articles or acts of force or restraint associated with sexual activity". Sex articles are also defined, but essentially can be summarised as written and pictorial pornographic material or sex aids (these are also defined further in the Act). The fees are detailed in the fees and charges document on our Financial Information page.



Skin piercing

Skin piercing includes acupuncture, tattooing, ear piercing, semi-permanent skin-colouring; cosmetic piercing and electrolysis. The legislation controlling this activity is the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. Please be aware, the permanent tattooing of a minor (under 18 years of age) with or without consent is against the law and will be dealt with by the police.  There is no statutory minimum age for any other form of skin piercing activity; however it is advisable that the operator obtains written consent from the parent or legal guardian if the client is under 18 years of age.   The Act introduced a national system of registration for skin piercing and the powers have been adopted by Arun District Council. We have made Byelaws for the purpose of securing:

  1. the cleanliness of the premises registered, including the fittings in the premises;
  2. the cleanliness of the person so registered: and
  3. the cleansing and, where appropriate, sterilisation of instruments, materials and equipment used in connection with the business.

If you are thinking of setting up a skin piercing business, we have a pack of information which you may find of use. Please contact us via the details below. 

The fees for skin piercing licences are detailed in the fees and charges document on our Financial Information page.



Street trading consent

Please be advised we are not currently granting any new applications for Street Trading consents.

If you are intending to sell articles in the street or on land adjoining a street, you may need a street trading consent. Please contact us for a copy of our street trading information booklet.pdf [pdf] 422KB  to find out if you need consent. Contact us via the details below to apply. The fees are detailed in the fees and charges document on our Financial Information page.

For fees, please refer to our Fees and Charges booklet.


Metal detectors

In order to issue a permit, we require proof of membership to one of the national organisations, NCMD or FID.  Following receipt, we will issue a licence and a list of Arun District Council sites on which we allow metal detecting.  Please contact Neil O'Connor in our Parks team on 01903 737951 for more information.


Further information

For more information regarding licensing, please contact the Arun District Council licensing team on 01903 737755 or write to the address at the bottom of this page. Email  licensing@arun.gov.uk .