Taxis & Taxi Drivers


This page contains everything you need to know about taxis, including information for existing drivers and details of how to apply to become a taxi driver. 


Applying to become a driver

The steps you need to take to become an Arun licensed driver are detailed below.

If you have any convictions or cautions of any age spent or unspent you should contact us in the first instant to discuss before you proceed any further.


Knowledge Test

You will be required to pass the council’s knowledge test prior to being considered for the grant of a Dual Drivers Licence.

The test will demonstrate that you have a good knowledge of all round aspects of the work of a driver and the district in which you wish to work.

The first test will not be charged. Subsequent tests are charged at £50 payable in advance.

The test is an electronic multiple choice system comprising of 9 categories. In order to pass the knowledge test you must attain a 80% pass mark in each category. The test will be set at a maximum time of 75mins to complete all categories:

  1. Highway Code
  2. Road Signs
  3. Venues 
  4. Roads. These questions will ask you to identify which road joins other roads identified to you.
  5. Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) and Safeguarding
  6. Equality and Disability
  7. Numeracy
  8. Byelaws
  9. Fitness. These questions will be related to the physical and mental fitness of taxi drivers.

An example of a question you may be asked will look like this

Knowledge test screenshot


  • We recommend as a guide an absolute minimum of 20 hours study time prior to sitting your test.
  • You will need to read and understand our policy as part of your study. This can be found at the top of the page.
  • As part of your study it is recommended you visit areas to obtain a good working knowledge of the district.
  • We recommend you also study maps of the area.
  • Use the internet or local guides to become familiar with key places and destinations.
  • You will need to ensure you are still fully familiar with the Highway Code
  • You will need to be familiar with our Hackney Carriage Byelaws [doc] 48KB
  • Further information about the nine elements of the test can be found in our study pack: V4 knowledge test study pack.docx [docx] 2MB . We strongly recommend you study this. The information in this pack may be updated regularly. We therefore recommend you refer to our website and study pack regularly to check you have the latest version. 
  • The authority may ask to deem it appropriate from time to time to ask drivers to undertake training or knowledge tests in specific areas as a condition of renewal of their licence.


Making an application

We ask you not to make an application until you are in a position to attempt your knowledge test. To make an application you will need to attend our Littlehampton offices by appointment. Please contact by email or by calling 01903 737755 and stating that you would like to make an appointment to apply for a taxi drivers licence.

We will send you out an application form, this will need to be completed and brought in with you along with the following documentation:

  • Your full DVLA driving licence. Have held your licence for at least 12 months and have at least 12 months UK driving experience. You must not have accrued any points on your DVLA licence in the preceding 12 months.
  • Passport or birth certificate
  • Passport style photo
  • Proof of address, using either household/utility bill or a bank statement less than three months old on which shows  your name and current address.
  • Details of residence outside Great Britain
  • Household/utility bill or bank statement less than three months old which has your address on it
  • A certificate of good conduct if you have been resident outside of the UK.
    • If an applicant has spent six continuous months or more overseas since
      becoming the age of criminal responsibility (10yrs and over), the licensing authority will expect to see evidence of a criminal record check or certificate of good conduct, not older than 28 days on application, regardless of whether you have previously held a certificate, from the country/countries covering the relevant period before a licence application can be made. If a certificate of good conduct is not provided in written English, the applicant will pay the cost of the translation.
  • You will need to provide us with information relating to your right to work in the UK. Full details can be seen here.
  • Drivers assessments and Medicals are to be taken after you have passed the knowledge test.

You will need to make a payment for your driver application on grant of your licence.


DBS check

As part of the application process for a license you are required to have an enhanced DBS. If you already hold an enhanced DBS certificate this can be no older than 28 days on application, we will however accept an enhanced DBS certificate if you are enrolled on the  update service, you will need to bring in the certificate with your application. You will have to apply for your check here prior to coming in to see us and have you ID verified. Payment is required at the time of application. When you paid your subscription your sign up registration can take up to 3 hours to be sent to you. If you think you haven’t received the link to the registration  please check your spam or junk box. Then if you have any queries or questions before or after submitting the payment or form please contact Personal Check 01254 355679.

After you have registered with personal checks we will receive conformation of your registration and you will need to make an appointment to have your ID verified at our Littlehampton offices Please email or call 01903 737755 and ask to speak to the licensing team to make an appointment.


Booking your test

When you are ready to take a test email stating you would like to arrange your test.

Tests will be held at the Civic Centre in Maltravers Road, Littlehampton. You will need to bring photographic identification with you. Please note you will not be permitted to use any of the following (and any items must be left turned off and at the front of the room)

  • Electronic devices including mobile phones
  • Study notes or books
  • Anything else deemed unacceptable by the invigilator
  • You must not have anything written on your hands, arms or elsewhere on your person

If you are found to be in possession of any of these items you will be disqualified from the test and not permitted to re-take it.

You will not be permitted to leave the room during your test.

We will provide pens and paper for your use should you require it.

The council’s decision as to whether you have passed the test is final. You will be notified of the results within 48 hours. Should you fail the test and wish to re-take it, we recommend a period of at least four weeks before you re-sit. You must make full application to the council for a licence within six months of passing the test.


National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 2

We have no designated  provider  at this time, therefore you are not required to complete the NVQ unless you wish to do so, but you will have to make your own arrangements.

When a licence has been granted it is considered desirable to undertake a NVQ Level 2 in Road Passenger Vehicle Driving. This is carried out by a training company on behalf of the Licensing Authority and is free to hackney carriage/private hire drivers. You will be expected to complete this course within the first year after getting your licence or to have signed up to the course and to be completed in the second year. 


Hackney carriages and private hire vehicles

Hackney carriages are vehicles that can be hailed from a rank or in the street, and can also be pre-booked. Together with their drivers, hackney carriages must be licensed by the local authority. The suitability and safety of vehicles, and the suitability and fitness of drivers can be considered when applications are received. Vehicle and driver licences are annual and extensive conditions apply.

Private hire vehicles do not have a topsign and only make pre-booked journeys. Their licensing provisions are much the same as for hackney carriages, although operators must also be licensed in addition to the driver and the vehicle. Driver licences are subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to assist councils in assessing whether or not an applicant is a fit and proper person to hold a driver licence. Applicants themselves are required to submit information concerning convictions.

Further details are available in our taxi licensing Policy 2017 v1-4.pdf [pdf] 1MB. If you would like more information about vehicle specifications, please see our MOT inspection manual.doc [doc] 3MB. The garages contracted to conduct the vehicle testing are available in the contracted garages.pdf [pdf] 12KB list. 

The fares charged for journeys in hackney carriages can be viewed in this Fares for 2017- 18 (including tariffs 4,5 and 6).doc [doc] 43KB document. Private hire vehicles do not have to adhere to these fares as the price is negotiated beforehand. 

For the purposes of this page, we will refer to both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles as taxis.

To operate as a taxi driver you will be required to licence both the vehicle you drive and yourself as an individual...

Taxi Driver Licences

Please read the following: Right to work checks for new and existing drivers.pdf [pdf] 385KB

If you would like to drive either a Hackney Carriage or a Private Hire Vehicle in the Arun District, you will need to apply to us for a Dual Driver licence.

Arun District Council dual driver licences will permit you to drive vehicles licensed by Arun only. You must be an Arun licensed driver to drive vehicles licensed by this authority.

New applicants may apply for a one year Driver's licence only.  Thereafter there are options to apply for either one or three year licences, but you should be aware that Medical Reports are needed on first application and then every 5 years from the age of 45 until 65 then annually thereafter, DBS is required on application and then every 3 years thereafter unless you have signed up to the update service which will be offered to you on application.

In order to apply for a Dual Driver licence you must:

  • Hold a full DVLA UK driver's licence
  • Have held your licence for at least 12 months and have at least 12 months UK driving experience
  • You must not have accrued any points on your DVLA licence in the preceding 12 months
  • Have sufficient ability to speak English and to understand spoken English to provide the service for which you wish to be licensed
  • Have adequate literacy and numeracy skills
  • Be a "fit and proper" person

We will establish that you are a "fit and proper" person by asking you to:

  • Provide details of your driving history by allowing the Council access to your DVLA records
  • Provide evidence of your conviction history by completing a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Disclosure form to Enhanced Level.  You will complete this with a member of the team.
  • By passing the knowledge test set by the council.
  • Pass a Driving Assessment test.  The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency is no longer undertaking taxi driver assessments. We use 1st Castle on 01243 867502. Please contact them to arrange your driver's assessment test.  Do not book a Driving Assessment test until after you have passed the Knowledge Test.
  • Undergo a rigorous medical examination, carried out by your own doctor, to the DVLA Group II medical standards. Medical Reports are needed on first application and then every 5 years from the age of 45 until 65 then annually thereafter, DBS is required on application and then every 3 years thereafter unless you have signed up to the update service which will be offered to you on application. Do not book a medical until after you have passed the knowledge test.

To be a licensed driver, you must be deemed a fit and proper person. If you are abrupt or aggressive when talking to Council staff, this may prevent us from approving your application.


Fees Due

Please see our fees and charges page for details.



If you already hold a licence with us, please click here to find renewal documents that you may require.

We will send our licensed drivers the appropriate renewal documentation approximately eight weeks before the expiry of your current Dual Driver's Licence. You are reminded that it is your responsibility, not the Council's, to renew your Licence and if you fail to do so before the expiry date, then any application will be treated as a new application and you will not be permitted to drive until it has been determined. This process could take up to eight weeks and may include taking the knowledge test. See our policy for further details.

If you have been asked to apply for a DBS check and have your ID verified please click here Payment is required at the time of application. You will need to obtain a new medical report when notified by us.

Incomplete applications will not be accepted.  Applications which are withdrawn for any reason will be subject to an administrative handling fee.



Application for the grant or renewal of a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence - 2018.docx [docx] 100KB

Application for grant-renewal of a Private Hire Operator licence - 2018.docx [docx] 80KB

Application for the transfer of a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence to another vehicle - 2018.docx [docx] 103KB

Details Of Residency Outside Great Britain - 2018.docx [docx] 71KB

application for renewal of a driver licence - 2018.docx [docx] 84KB

Notification for change of registration number on a hackney carriage - 2016.doc [doc] 108KB

notification for change of address - 2016.doc [doc] 82KB

notification of an accident - 2018.doc [doc] 91KB